Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: reducing planer noise

reducing planer noise

Just hooked up my 15" planer to my new Clearvue cyclone and it is Loud. So loud the volunteer fireman 4 houses down the street jumped off his lawnmower and sped away in his car..........

It was always loud with the 2 bag DC but it's over the top now. There's an adjustable plate near the cutterhead that's supposed reduce noise but it has no effect no matter where I put it.

I used a standard 12" x 4" x 6" diameter register duct adapted to the stock exhaust after removing the 4" port. It had no trouble sucking up the chips from a 12" piece of white oak which would bogged down the old dc.

Any suggestions??

TIA
    Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

I have not found planers with induction motors to be especially loud. Just like with table saws the noise comes from air turbulence or a loud (universal) motor.

My 2 bag DC is a lot louder than my 15" planer.

Your right. With the cyclone off the planer is pretty quite, about 75db but it jumps to 93-95db as soon as the cyclone spools up so it is definitely air noise.
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

Try opening a second dust port to reduce air velocity. See if you still get good chip collection.
    -Lud

Byrd head. I can have a normal convesation next to my G0453Z(Grizzly spiral head) and 3hp cyclone. Or were you looking for a cheaper solution?

Byrd head is on my long list but I've two carbide tipped sets I'm trying to wear out first.

I'll try opening a second gate and that should help. I'll see if I can get a handle on where the worst noise is coming from.

Perhaps a sound damping closet ?????

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hale View Post
    Byrd head is on my long list but I've two carbide tipped sets I'm trying to wear out first.

I'll try opening a second gate and that should help. I'll see if I can get a handle on where the worst noise is coming from.

Perhaps a sound damping closet ?????
    Brian, I reduce the airflow slightly by closing the blast gate a bit.

Try that out and balance chip collection with noise.............Regards, Rod.

I closed off the gate at the planer by about 3/4 of the way and to noise dropped to an acceptable level and chip collection was still ok but I don't like the chips beating against the gate so I'll try cracking a second gate instead. Since I have some Roxul and Homasote left over from the cyclone enclosure build I may try putting some on top of the planer and around the exhaust to see what improvements can be gained.

Thanks again for your suggestions! !

Brian

I have the same setup - 15" planer and clearvue. I have converted the stock planer port from 4" to 6" - chip collection is great even with a second machine running but you are right the air flow noise is a lot louder than the planer. I start the planer 1st because i can't hear it if the DC is running with the blast gate open. Opening a 2nd gate should help reduce the air noise at the planer without having the chips pile up at the blast gate but it will put a bigger load on the DC motor and cost a bit more to run.

One of the downsides to having a DC that can suck the chrome off a trailer hitch is that is moving a lot of air and that means flow noise.

I opted for the 16" impeller because I was concerned about airflow. The planer is furthest from the cyclone and there's more fittings in that run than is ideal and caused my concern. However, with almost 50' of duct that in that run and none of it sealed, just pressed together, the amount of air that beast moves is nothing short of amazing.

I've found activating the "off" switch to be the most effective method of reducing planer noise in my shop....
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

LOL

The End Justifies Means

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    I've found activating the "off" switch to be the most effective method of reducing planer noise in my shop....
    And I thought you were going to suggest ear muffs.

Same issue .. for me it is the 16" Jointer. The 5" dust port (19.6 square inch cross section) is reduced to 15-1/2" by 3/4" (11.6 square inch section) and whatever the combination of CFM plus increased velocity over spinning blade, (and angle no doubt) the thing howls! It is efficient at picking up dust! The noise however is so horrendous that last night I was working after dark milling and asked my wife if noise was a problem (she claimed to not hear it). Yes, the volume drops if I open other ports to reduce velocity. This is another situation where adding the ability to easily reduce impeller velocity could be beneficial. I had added a single channel remote "latching" on-off switch for the dust collector. Perhaps programming another channel to activate a speed reduction. Might try that.

I closed the planer gate about 2/3 of the way and the noise was acceptable and it was sucking chips just fine. After about 15 minutes of planing I opened the cyclone enclosure door and found the cyclone half full of chips and the drum was almost empty. Shut it down and checked the filter cleanout box. Rrrrrrrr Almost full and the filters were pretty well coated with chips and dust. After cleaning up I tried it again with the tablesaw gate open half way and the planer gate full open and ran it for awhile. That seems to be the ticket, noise isn't to bad and the cyclone works fine.

I guess that's a cyclone Right Of Passage.

Live and Learn

Brian