Thread: cnc router OR laser

Cool cnc router OR laser

Hello Creek Buddies,
    I'm 81 years old and cannot cure my "tool-a-holic" condition.

I would like to create small objects for gifts and do not want to get both(router/laser)

I like the router demos and the laser demos, but do not know how much wood (thickness) can be cut with a
    small laser machine.
    (all demos have been on line, would like to see hands on, tell me where)
    I'm 1:30 south of Atlanta GA

Then I assume a router could cut most any wood I would choose and could be set up to engrave.

What other features should be considered and compared for a part time hobby?

When I finally make a decision, $2000 - $3000 would be my budget.

Thank you in advance for any and all comments and suggestions.

Brand names would be nice.
    Plant a tree, help it grow, children need something to climb.

Blog Entries
    That price won't get you a very powerful laser, at least from a wood cutting standpoint, so I'd stick with the router setup. Even a high-powered laser is only going to get you 3/8"-1/2" and still have a decent finish on it.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Norris, read through this thread on budget CNC routers: Affordable CNC... there is some good info and manufacture links but it is somewhat dated. 2-3k is at the low end for a turn key, entry level CNC router. Most packages don’t include software which can also be expensive.
    I bought a CNC router last year, they are a boat load of fun.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Norris

I don't think you can get a satisfactory laser at that price--even used. Bruce makes a good point about the cost of software.

I'm of your generation but have had my laser for about 18 years and it took a while for me to get the hang of the software. Now, it's almost second nature and a heckuva lot of fun.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

This is exactly why I want to start my own Techshop type school in Bloomington IL. Guys like Norris. I applaude you!
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Norris, I have a couple of CNC's as well as a laser. I love to use both types of machines but there are definite advantages to either depending on what it is you are doing. Personally, I found the laser to be much easier to learn (although I still learn something new every time I use it). I think the comments above steering you towards the CNC because of your budget are definitely on track. Were I you, I would start searching CNC forums and try to find something used in order to keep the price down.
    Live Oak Forge
    40W Epilog Mini 18
    Shopbot 32"x24"x6" PRT
    Shopbot 48"x48"x6" PRS
    Next Engine Scanner
    Artcam
    CorelDRAW X5
    Multiple and various other implements of destruction

I knew it when I posted. The folks on this forum are the best.
    Thanks for all the info and opinions thus far. They are all appreciated.
    I can tell all are "level headed" thoughts even without seeing each of you in person.
    One can recognize a level headed guy, tobacco juice runs out of both sides of his mouth.
    Thanks again.
    Plant a tree, help it grow, children need something to climb.

You can come in quite a bit under that budget point if you're willing to build the machine yourself --- I did the instructions for the Shapeoko, an opensource ``3D carver'' which can be up-graded as much as one's patience and budget allows:

http://www.shapeoko.com

you may find reading through the wiki helpful --- esp. the software page: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Software

If you have any questions which you can't find an answer for, I'd be glad if you'd let me know and I'll see what can be done. There have been a couple of people who've converted their Shapeokos to lasercutters, so that'd be an option if you wished.

Ages ago, I found a great post where a gentleman described purchasing a smaller (Epilog?) laser which was intended for engraving, but which he was able to use to cut thinner stock quite successfully for making small, intricate projects --- here are some tradeoffs / concerns betwixt the two:

- noise --- the laser is essentially quiet, while a CNC can be quite noisy
    - dust collection --- a CNC pretty much requires it, but on the gripping hand, a laser requires a filter/exhaust system and may generate unpleasant smells when cutting some materials (leather)
    - on-going expense of operation --- for CNC routers endmills have to be considered a consumable --- not sure if there's a significant difference in electricity usage --- I believe lasers have to be replaced periodically
    - radius of cut --- a CNC is limited by the smallest bit you can use, while a laser has essentially zero radius --- a CNC machine will require more complex fixturing, but offers one the option of doing 2.5D (no overhangs unless one gets a 4th or 5th axis)
    - simplicity of software --- the laser is a big win on this, pretty much any vector program will do --- for CNC mills, the need to take the bit diameter into account and to clear pockets, &c. makes for much more complex CAM requirements.
    Last edited by William Adams; 05-29-2014 at 9:41 PM.

Hi all it is a very good question and one we have all asked ourselves I think you need to be clear about what you want to make as that is the only way you will make a good decision it might be you could do what you want with an engraving machine and you can pick up an used one for small money good luck with whatever you decide
    Cheers Frank

hi again just another option you could buy in the wood pre cut then a small laser would do for engraving but you need to know what you wish to make before you start
    cheers and good luck Frank