Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What tool/machine do you want but just can't justify the cost?

What tool/machine do you want but just can't justify the cost?

Do you have a tool or machine that you find yourself lookng at in catalogs, internet or stores that you just WANT but are pretty sure you would never get the value out of if bought new. You know the one you look for on CL hoping to find a scorned wife willing to sell one for 1/10th its value just to teach her cheatin' hubby a lesson.

For me it is a shaper, I have used them and love them but when tooling is considered I just don't see how I would get the value out of one. I rarely have the need for moulding and the rare times I use big ole bits it is not a big deal to take several passes.

I must admit there have been numerous tools I have bought for one project that I didn't think I would use again and later I wondered how I ever lived without it, maybe the shaper would be the same but until some woodworker with a cherry PM27 makes his wife wanna sell me one for $300 I ust don't see me learing this lesson.
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 06-17-2010 at 12:26 AM.

It's been a lathe for me...

A real...full size 20" planar with a spiral head cutter. Just can't justify it....but I still drool!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Festool track saw. Unfortunately, a shop-made zero-clearance circular saw guide and Black&Decker circ saw do a pretty good job of cutting panels up, when I need more accuracy it's quick to run them over the cabinet saw.

Shaper is the exact same as you... I have one available to use, I like it, but only use one set for frame/panel and raised panel. I can't see myself using one enough to justify tooling.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Any big tool at this point... I've run out of room except for room for a lathe... Unfortuantely that deal of a lifetime hasn't shown up yet around here. I was saddened recently, a 15" Grizzly planer was available to me for 350... I really didn't want to have to pass on it. Im just not sure I can live with it in my living room

Haven't found any yet just several that are waiting for proper funds or a need on a paying project.

I just missed a large edge sander, which I should have upped my bid on and I want a Domino but haven't had the pressing need yet.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

A wide belt sander would be nice and oh ... a CNC Router.

A large collection of expensive handtools like all sorts of planes, handsaws, chisels, etc. I just suck at sharpening and using them. Everytime I need to do something by hand I just screw up the workpiece.

For me it would be a Byrd head for my planer. A wide belt sander would be really nice too, but I don't know where I'd put it.

Currently it would be a Lathe... there seemed to be plenty of deals on CL until I decided to I had the room for one, now i can't seem to find much. "Good things come, to those who wait."

- Any 220/230V tool.

Cost of running a sub panel to the garage is holding me back.

- That "third" Festool which would allow me to spread the cost of the Festool CT mini vac out among three tools. I have the TS55 saw and can justify a sander - but - the third Festool tool has me stymied.

- 3HP compressor and/or a good HVLP turbine.

- A "monster" DC. Something that would suck up a bowling ball.

- Some top shelf hand planes & chisels.

I'm going to have to stop there. This is kind of depressing .

Blog Entries
    I would say an edge sander, Maybe a mid sized lathe.

For me it's as much about lack of floor space as it is about the cost of the tool.

I've just finished a couple months of reworking my shop to accomadate some tool upgrades (Larger Dust Collector, Planer, Shaper).

I doubt I'll bring in any more stationary tools into my current shop (A 2 car garage) as there is only so much room for tools and to have the shop comfortble to work in.

PHM

Shaper or Wide Belt Sander

Almost anything with a Festool label.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

The Stinger that I'm going to win.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC