Thread: First bowl from log to bowl

First bowl from log to bowl

I managed to save a few pieces from a walnut tree the neighbour was cutting down. Turned to size wet then dried in the microwave. A few firsts with this one. First bowl from wet wood. First natural edge and only my 3rd bowl. Bob Hamilton left a roughed out blank here a few years ago when he was showing me how to use a lathe and I did on durng a Lee Valley course last year. Getting away from just pens and little things. I think I need help I've fallen into the vortex.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project

Rick that's a Great first live edge bowl. Very nice. And yes the vortex only gets deeper from here.

Run for your life---but very nice bowl--great contrast.

Hi, Rick:
    Great start! If you want some bigger blanks to try out on that new lathe I have quite a few chunks of Manitoba Maple (box elder to those south of the border) from that big tree that used to hang over my front porch from the neighbor's property. It was cut down last August and I have roughed out a lot of bowls from it but the pile is still pretty big. I have been keeping the stack covered and everything seems to still be sound but it needs to be processed into roughouts before too much longer or it will likely start checking. I am retired now so I am home most days.

Take care
    Bob

Thanks Bob:
    Will try and arrange a day to get up there sometime soon. The wife got a job working in the election so can't do much till that's over. If I remember that tree it was loaded with small burls so you should have got some nice wood out of that. While the wife's working I get to spend the day in the shop. Need to get the rest of the walnut I got rough turned, I waxed the ends when I cut it into blanks but I noticed today a few pieces are still cracking. Hope you are enjoying retirement as much as I am.

Rick
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project

Yup, there were one or two burls.....

Pretty much any day is fine, just give me a heads up.

Take care
    Bob