Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seargent VBM #5 query

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Beauchesne View Post
    No body casting lettering / numbering at all, but that looks correct as far as I can tell.
    You're probably correct that its supposed to be that way. I sold my Sargent about 6 months ago and it is very VERY likely that I was remembering incorrectly about the casting. Ignore me and trust what you find from more reliable resources. IIRC its that distinct frog and the low beaded knob that distinguish it as a type 3 or earlier.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Beauchesne View Post
    Thanks for the help so far everyone!

I bought the thing yesterday ( like I said, I have a problem )

It looks to be a Sargent VBM 414, type 3 - 1910 - 1918 with the problems noted in my original post. No body casting lettering / numbering at all, but that looks correct as far as I can tell. The broken frog, while it gives me the willies, looks solid and if I remove the bits, can probably lap it to flat as it is real close now. Regardless, I will look for a replacement ( it is the ' horseshoe ' style that cannot be adjusted from the back ).

The rosewood is very nice, japanning has a few chips, but the rust is minimal, which is a bonus.

The interesting thing is the blade measures out at about .107'' - an old Stanley I grabbed is .085'' - considerably thicker which should be nice. also, it looks like the last person to use it read Kees and Wilbur's article on setting the chipbreaker - maybe just a fluke, but overall, a 100 year old survivor that seems to have been kept together and reasonably looked after.

Like I said, you very seldom see Sargent stuff out here on the Left Coast, so it is a bit of a treat.

Will try to post a couple pics later today - too many projects, so little time - - -

Dave B
    The type 3 were made from 1891-1909. The type 2 was the horseshoe style. The type 3 was to second folded, which is the picture you posted. They make very good users.

Blog Entries
    I won a Sargent #414, plain bottom, at an auction site. It was about to pass with no bids for $9.95. Mine looks just like Steven's internally. The only issue I see that may require more than a little cleaning is a crack in the knob. NO 414 appears on the blade. Sargent appears on the lever cap. I am hoping the extra Veritas knob I have can be modified to fit the plane. I have seen this plane listed at 14 and 15" long, either way I think it is similar to a Stanley #5.

I will see if I can find Heckles Sargent book Don.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 06-02-2014 at 5:21 AM.

I just restored a couple Sargents over the weekend. I know Stanleys are easier to resell, but I've got a soft spot for the Sargents.

Mike, I can turn you a new knob if you need it.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Don, I don't have the plane yet so I am not sure what kind of shape the knob on it is in or whether or not the extra I have will fit. I will post when I get it and maybe contact you too.

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )
    An update:

Thanks to a very helpful SMCer who PMed me, I have a replacement frog on the way.

Last thing I need is another # 5 size plane, but, this being a Sargent VBM, and them being scarce out here, well - - - - - who can resist.

I really want to try the VBM iron that is 22 thou thicker than a vintage Stanley, so, will try to get pics when the build happens.

Thanks to everyone for the assistance on this one - - -

Dave B