Thread: Washing machine motor - OK for drum sander?

Washing machine motor - OK for drum sander?

The transmission went on our still-young GE washer and after reading the horror stories about GE washers, we bit the bullet and bought a new Maytag.

I pulled the motor on the old washer in hopes of using it to build a drum or spindle sander, but I'm wondering if this is safe. The motor is not enclosed, I can see the windings. Any advice, or should I just toss it?

Thanks,

James

2. It will work for normal shop use ... unless you use the same area for spraying flammable paint and solvents. You may need to blow accummulated dust out of it every now and then.

My dad used to use washing machine motors to power virtually everything in his shop. If you know the right people, there is an unlimited supply. The bigest risk is that it will fail on you. If it is in a very dusty location, vacuum or blow out the dust regularly.
    Doug
    Remember, wherever you go, I've probably already been there.

As others have said, not being enclosed will cause dust to buildup inside, and heat along with it. The last one I used as a drum sander only lasted me about 6 or 7 years

Steve

James,
    If it has a multiple speed settings, make sure you grab the switch and any other "good" parts. Also make a note of how it is wired for future reference.

Wes

Thanks for the advice, I'm a bit "electric-motor-challenged" but learning.

I did save the wiring diagram, but unfortunately, the switch is gone.

Being very electric motor challenged myself, would this type of motor also work if a person wanted to build their own bench grinder? Just wondering.
    "When you earnestly believe that you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts,
    there is no end to what you can't do."

Well Yeah Sort of

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Horton
    Being very electric motor challenged myself, would this type of motor also work if a person wanted to build their own bench grinder? Just wondering.
    Having grown up in Maytag Country( Dad, Father-in-law, brothers and most people I knew worked in the factory) in Newton, Ia. I only live 10 miles from Newton.
    I would say the motors have been used in every shop in the area for one application or another, at one time or another.
    I have even seen them mounted contractor saw style on table saws.
    They are only 1/4-1/3 hp, so one would need to keep that in mind.
    As was said, they may have limited lifespan, but any appliance repairman or salvage yard will have a roomful.
    Last edited by Jim Dannels; 06-29-2005 at 1:50 PM.

My father has been running his grinder with an old dryer motor for 30+ years. he got it after the repairman told him it was no good and replaced it with a new one.

I have a double shafted motor out of a furnance that I have a brass wire brush on one shaft and a polishing buff on the other. Been using it now for about 11 or 12 yrs now. About a month ago I thought if I can do that with it I would do the same thing James wants to do. So I got a 1/3 hp motor from the appliance man and luckily it was a enclosed motor. It works slick as a spindle sander. You just can't load it down. Take your time sanding and it will be fine I think.

Bernie

In my experience in extending the longevity of various GE washing machines
    (too cheap to buy new ones) I observed some models use a relay which is mounted separately from the motor to replace the usual starter switch built into the motor. The relay is a current relay, in that the high current that flows when you start any motor causes the relay contacts to close, energizing the starting winding. Once the motor gets up to speed, the current decreases and the contacts open, de-energizing the starting winding. The relay, if your motor uses one, is usually mounted on the back of the washer and is orientation sensitive -it must be mounted straight up and down. Hopefully, the motor you want to use will not use an external relay.
    BTW, the rationale behind the use of a relay is" value engineering", or , "what can we possibly remove or make cheaper to increase our profit margin, and still allow this machine to do its job"
    Peter Leyden