Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Said This Maple Turned like butter.

I Said This Maple Turned like butter.

Here are the type of shaving that came off this posted maple bowl. For all the figure it was very easy to cut and sand. Same oil and lacquer finish. I have 3 larger pieces to turn. Measures 10" across and about 4 1/2" deep.
    IMG_0437.jpgIMG_5985.jpgIMG_5987.jpgIMG_5998.jpgIMG_6001.jpg
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Very nice bowl for sure. What is the cloudy on the finish--confused here. I like the shop even better.

Quote Originally Posted by robert baccus View Post
    Very nice bowl for sure. What is the cloudy on the finish--confused here. I like the shop even better.
    The finish is quite glossy and even with lights pointed out of the tent there was quite a bit of reflection. The rest is some pretty curls in the wood.

Bob, I don't think bowl turning can get much better than that!

Very nicely done. You did a great job of showing off all of the beautiful figure and grain.

stunning wood..great bowl
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

nicely done, great wood, cherish those other pieces......never know til you turn them, hope there was a large sweet spot

Seems like you could make a sweater outa all those shavings.
    Great work as always.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

That's a stunning bowl Bob, I hope the rest of the pieces are as good. Are you coring them?
    tomB

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Borener View Post
    That's a stunning bowl Bob, I hope the rest of the pieces are as good. Are you coring them?
    I cored a lot of the smaller ones from these. The biggest is about 19" with some really nice figure. Haven't turned it yet, but will soon.

Truly beautiful piece. Can`t wait for it`s bigger brother.

Gorgeous wood and you 'done it proud', Bob.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I bet you were smiling every time you stopped the lathe to look at it, and I bet you couldn't help but run your hands over it at the same time. Wait, that would have been me.

What a beautiful bowl.

Okay, maybe I am the only one who noticed this, but in the last picture, it looks like the tailstock is floating, or is that an illusion. Nice bowl, I do like maple a lot. We mostly get the Big Leaf type out here. The good stuff smells kind of like bread yeast when cutting. If it is starting to rot, it smells pretty sour.

robo hippy

Holy mackerel that's gorgeous! Love the figure. From the shavings it looks like you were having a pretty good time too. I had to check out the dangling tail stock too.