Thread: Walnut Hollow Form

Walnut Hollow Form

This is not my first HF, but is the first that I've made from walnut. SWMBO said that I should turn this one with a base. The base started out larger but there were some endgrain cracks that I had to turn away, so this is what is left. The grooves at the opening were burned with a piece of formica. About 6in. high, finished with rattle can Deft lacquer. Comments on the base, pro and con, welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am new to hollow turning, so curious to know if you sanded the inside and if so, how did you do it? Did you use any special hollowing system, or something like a gooseneck tool? Also, how long did that take to hollow out? Alot of wood to remove.

Very nice shape and finish.

Very nice Toby. I like the flow.
    Do or do not, there is no try.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Pugh View Post
    I am new to hollow turning, so curious to know if you sanded the inside and if so, how did you do it? Did you use any special hollowing system, or something like a gooseneck tool? Also, how long did that take to hollow out? Alot of wood to remove.

Very nice shape and finish.
    Dave, I did not sand the inside, although it is smooth. I just used a forstner bit to drill a starter hole and then enlarged it to hollow out, with a bowl gouge. I used the gouge with the flute at about the 9:30-10:00 position and cut from the center out to the edge. It took about an hour to hollow out, lots of blowing out shavings and measuring wall thickness, about 1/4". It's not the ideal way to hollow. I have now borrowed a Jamieson system to see if I like it, but have yet to try it out. Thanks for the comment.

You hollowed that with a bowl gouge? A straight one? How'd you get up under the lip? Beautiful.

Nice work. I like the overall style.

Wow for a first vase. A lot of us turners never get that good. One comment--you might work that lacquer down to a level finish but it's fine like that too.

I like the shape of your HF, and the wood looks very nice...the foot, well, ah, not so much. sorry swmbo
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe