Thread: Installing a bow eye

Installing a bow eye

I bought a 12' 40 year old aluminum sailboat. It pretty much is like an aluminum row boat, though I hope it is better made than those. The sides are about 0.04" and the strip that connects them is 0.09"; with rivets about every 1.1".

The bow eye was part of a casting on the top of the bow, but it has broken off; and I want to install a bow eye.

I am planning on drilling two holes for a 3/8" U-bolt, packing the area around the bolts (on the inside...) with epoxy putty to spread the stress out, and then snugging the nuts/washers up against the epoxy putty.

Does that seem like a reasonable plan? I will be mooring it so it need a bow eye, but I sure don't want to rip the bow out in a storm.

I would add two mounting back plates [ top and bottom ]for extra support

I agree with Ray. Some backing to distribute the load would provide considerable strength if properly done.

The first 4' of the boat is covered. You can squeeze in and reach the bow with your hand, but that is about all. I should have included a picture.
    p12-03.jpgp12-02.jpg
    The epoxy putty is the backer. Since I can't get into it do measure or fit anything, I am using putty because will fill the space automatically and spread the load out.

can you turn the boat upside down when you apply the epoxy , this way you will not be fighting gravity

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    can you turn the boat upside down when you apply the epoxy , this way you will not be fighting gravity
    I am planning on putting it in the bow, about 6" below the point. (The point probably has a technical name, but I don't know what it is)
    Epoxy putty is like thick sticky clay. Once it is shoved in, it won't go anywhere.

Epoxy does not work very well with metal. If epoxy is used with metal it is best used where the metal has a number of holes in it so that the epoxy will be both below and above the piece of metal. I think you are using the wrong adhesive. I would treat this like a through hull connection and use something like 5200. The eye bolt should be mechanically fastened first with plates on both sides of the stem. Pretty much every commercial bow eye I have seen has a backing plate as part of the package. If you are making something from the hardware store, you can use stainless washers I suppose. Drill it, bolt it and liberally apply the 5200 to all surfaces and the hole and it should be fine.

I just did this on a wooden boat a couple of weeks ago.
    Jackbat