Thread: Need Help

Need Help

Look for a plan or ideas on a pattern for a meeting gavel. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Steve

Thanks John. Appreciate your help. That will do the job.
    Steve

Steve,

I have only made a few gavels, and I had trouble finding a pattern. I read on a site somewhere that the head ratio should be 2X as long as the diameter. I made one gavel that way, and didn't like the finished piece. I thought the head had an awkward feel.

il_570xN.429973947_925z.jpg
    Then I tried making the head 1.7X the diameter, and it felt much better in ratio. The handle length here was 2.6 X the length of the head.

il_570xN.432921133_kk1w.jpg

I am sure there are better resources out there, but this is what worked for me. I hope this helps.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Brian, I like your ratio. I think, like you said, 2x's the diameter does not give you good proportions.

Agreed. The first looks more like a mallet (albeit a nice looking mallet). The second is obviously a gavel. Is that walnut and curly maple?

Yes, Black walnut and Curly maple are one of my favorite combos. You are right about the Mallet. I should have taken the handle off and replaced it with a longer one. I would have had a croquet mallet then.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Nice and nicer.

Your second is more pleasingnto the eye also.