Thread: Stained Glass Wall Surround

Stained Glass Wall Surround

Making a panel surround for a small wall. It is opposite the understair closet I did recently. It will complement the closet using the same panel configurations and heights. She has a nice stained glass that is about 21 x 41 and I will make a frame for it and it will be suspended inside of the window area of the wall.

The wall is like 5/8" out of plumb so that it makes the window hole waaaaay out of square. I've just made the surround so that it will fit over it and just have spaces where it's out of plumb. I'll use the ole spray foam trick I use to install trim around a lally column in a basement. When it dries it locks the pc in place.

Here is the CAD drawing of what it'll look like.

Here is the wall itself

front

back

Put the finishing touches on most of the build today, stayed a little late so I could put it together.

I have to make the frame for the stained glass tomorrow.
    Last edited by John Keeton; 06-03-2014 at 8:13 AM. Reason: Remove profanity

That took way longer than I expected. Simple, make some molding and make a frame out of it. Then make a frame to fit in the frame. And then a bunch of other stuff that took a lot of time. Needed to go to the hardware store for some 5" machine screws and some "T" nuts. Got the screws but the "T" nuts seemed to be elusive. I've bought them there before and know about where they are. They have all those pull out boxes with hardware. Looked for about 10 minutes and I couldn't find them, there was an open slot with no box. Asked the owner where it might be, no clue. I guess someone stole the whole box of them. Went to another hardware store and got them.

Here is the jamb with the frame that will hold the stained glass

Here it is back in the wall unit, front then back

Close up of how the frame is attached, front and back

Here is the inside of the frame, the pinch point for the stained glass

This is the frame that fits into the frame. It will hold the stained glass in the main frame

Had to do some cutouts to go around the screws. Used the spindle sander.
    Last edited by Leo Graywacz; 06-03-2014 at 1:24 PM. Reason: Remove profanity

Went over and did the pre fitting. Prime and paint tomorrow.

Installed it today, came out nice.

Here is the beaded corner I use to assemble my prefinished stuff on site.

Very nice! Looks like it's always been there.

Hi Leo,

You did an outstanding job on your panel surround. Also, the cabinets under the stairs look great. It all goes together, and complements each other. Great design.

Sam

Looks Awesome Leo!! Nice craftsmanship.
    Sometimes decisions from the heart are better than decisions from the brain.

Enjoy Life...

Nice design . Love the "suspension system" and return bead corners.

Really beautiful work, Leo!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...