Thread: Unusual chair/ barstool.. task in joinery

Unusual chair/ barstool.. task in joinery

I have seen these chairs/ stools made in a class at the community college and for some reason I really like them.. anyone familiar with this design and where to get info about making one.. it is a test in joinery. I am fairly confident it is someone else's design?
    It is the one in the foreground.

Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I have worked myself up from nothing to extreme poverty." Groucho Marx
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChrisPineWorkshop

That's a Tag Frid design. Frid was a master furnituremaker who taught at the Rhode Island School of Design in the sixties and seventies. His teaching and writing were very important in the resurgence of fine woodworking in the US. This design (and its joinery) are discussed in the third book in his trilogy Tag Frid Teaches Woodworking. The trilogy was originally published as three separate books, but has since been republished as two, and maybe as one volume. The third book might not be in some of the all-in-one versions. When it was published as a separate volume, the third book was called Tag Frid Teaches Woodworking: Furnituremaking. I highly, highly, recommend getting all three books.

Jamie is correct it is a Frid design and in book "#3 Furnituremaking" ....It is not that difficult ...the legs to the seat are wedged tenons. The back to the seat are through dovetails and reall make it special....The rake can be fine tuned by shortening he front or back legs...It is a great design!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Cool. Last night on the DIY channel there was a show "Trade School" featured a woodworking student making the chair on the left. His following classroom project was the building of his own workbench.
    Best Regards, Ken

This is so funny!

I looked on the DIY site and seen the information on the episode you are speaking about and I beleive with a large degree of certaintly that this is the same shop at the community college I am attending.. Small World.. There are too many similarities.. I do not recognize the individual but the show may have been taped some time ago... Thats cool!!! Red Rocks Community College FIne Wood working program.
    I will eventually take the chairmaking class I am sure just was wanting to try this myself with some lesser wood... looks like fun!

Thanks All!

Chris
    "I have worked myself up from nothing to extreme poverty." Groucho Marx
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChrisPineWorkshop