Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Engraved Guns - Spoke with Attorney

Another restriction is: You must have a separate physical business mailing address form you residence, because of receiving guns or parts through the mail is not deemed legal. I was set to become a gun hand engraver about 10 years ago, and the FBI and ATF gave my fee back, because I was going to operate the business in my shop in the basement. I would love to get into hand engraving guns for the money and artistic canvas, but dealing with the ATF & FBI is very restricting. Any inquiries I get on the phone, I just say, " I cannot hand engrave your weapon, you'll have to contact a local gunsmith or dealer, for reference to an FFL licensed hand engraver." It might just happen to be a local ATF or FBI agent on the other end setting a trap. I like to have life, not in prison, thank you.
    Last edited by Mark Greenbaum; 08-28-2017 at 12:45 PM.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Greenbaum View Post
    Another restriction is: You must have a separate physical business mailing address form you residence...
    Not true. I work out of my house and have an FFL. The ATF doesn't care where you do business, just as long as you ONLY do it at the address specified on the FFL.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bateson View Post
    Not true. I work out of my house and have an FFL. The ATF doesn't care where you do business, just as long as you ONLY do it at the address specified on the FFL.
    Correct and FFL holders can ship firearms USPS but must be Priority Mail.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Greenbaum View Post
    Another restriction is: You must have a separate physical business mailing address form you residence, because of receiving guns or parts through the mail is not deemed legal. I was set to become a gun hand engraver about 10 years ago, and the FBI and ATF gave my fee back, because I was going to operate the business in my shop in the basement. I would love to get into hand engraving guns for the money and artistic canvas, but dealing with the ATF & FBI is very restricting. Any inquiries I get on the phone, I just say, " I cannot hand engrave your weapon, you'll have to contact a local gunsmith or dealer, for reference to an FFL licensed hand engraver." It might just happen to be a local ATF or FBI agent on the other end setting a trap. I like to have life, not in prison, thank you.
    The first two years I had my FFL were while I was running the business from my home. They had no problem with that at all. Maybe it was different 10 years ago, but it's not like that now.

Blog Entries
    A couple of things, under the Clinton administration and for a while afterwards, The batfe was actively trying to reduce ffl holders, and they didn't want to license home based businesses. That changed under Bush and I'm home based also, Mark go get your license and start Engraving. Laser or hand.
    Kev, section C. That you highlighted is in response to gun owners who buy and sell part of their collection. Again, here and in later section what is occasionally? Batfe doesn't know, get your license it don't do guns.

And logging in a book is required if that owner walks out your door an you have the gun in your possession!
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others