Thread: Shrink pots.

Shrink pots.

Thanks to Darrell LaRue's post in: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-made-a-bucket I went ahead and tried making some shrink pots (thanks Darrell!).

There are a handful of pretty good tutorials online if you search for "shrink pot" on google. The short version is to hollow out the center of a green log/limb chunk and then cut a groove around one end and snap a piece of dry wood into the groove. The green wood will shrink as it dries and trap the bottom in place.

They're a lot of fun to make, although I'll certainly be the first to admit that there is no chance than any of these will hold water without leaving like a sieve Also ended up wishing I had a couple of in-cannel gouges for this, you can - sort of - clean up the insides with out-cannel but it would be a whole lot easier with the right tools (as Darrell noted a hook knife would work but I don't have one of those either). So far this is the only project I've done where I really wanted those so didn't invest yet.

These are in elm, I suspect a softer and more "shrinky" wood would probably seal up the bottoms better.

IMG_1746.jpg

IMG_1748.JPG

IMG_1747.JPG

Pretty slick, Ryan. I like the bark on ones best, but they are all nice.

Smart !
    That's a new one to me.
    Thanks for the education.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Hey Ryan, those are great!

If you get the bottom to fit really well, some shellac will seal up the minimal leaks. It also helps waterproof the insides a bit. I use one of my shrink pots when I'm camping with the Scout troop. Now I have a bunch of Scouts who want to make their own. I guess that's our next 'sitting around the campfire' project.

Darrell
    Wood Hoarder, Blade Sharpener, and Occasional Tool User

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell LaRue View Post
    Hey Ryan, those are great!

If you get the bottom to fit really well, some shellac will seal up the minimal leaks. It also helps waterproof the insides a bit. I use one of my shrink pots when I'm camping with the Scout troop. Now I have a bunch of Scouts who want to make their own. I guess that's our next 'sitting around the campfire' project.

Darrell
    Thanks Darrel. The best couple only have 2-3 small "dribble" leaks so some shellac would probably seal them up. Getting a good fit is a bit of a trick