Thread: Stage #1 of Garage to Workshop Conversion - Miter Cutting Station w/ Kreg Trak & Stop

Stage #1 of Garage to Workshop Conversion - Miter Cutting Station w/ Kreg Trak & Stop

Here is also a link to the pictures - http://imgur.com/a/YBzbb

I am not quite finished, but I couldn't help but post some pictures. This "Woodshop" has to also be a functional 2 car garage for the time being, so I am trying to make most efficient use of space, and make everything modular. Which is why I made this cutting station floating, so I could store rolling items underneath. This is my first workshop project, so I changed pace with materials as I went, but I think it still came out great. I used my Kreg jig for a lot of the jointing. I ended up with a 12' fence on the left side and a 3' fence on the right. I also decided to put my metal cutoff saw on the end. The cutoff saw won't be zeroed out to the fence, but I will have a conversion number (i.e. subtract 30" or something)
    Material List and use

• 2" x 6" Fir - Header Boards, Cross Supports (for metal supports), and Joists). Header Board is attached to existing 2" x 4" studs with 4" lag screws. Joists are glued and pocket hole attached with 2 1/4" 10# screws. Cross Supports are glued and Pocket hole Attached with 2 1/4" 10# screws.
    • 1" x 8" Pine ripped to size for front facia board
    • 3/4" Pine Plywood ripped to size for tabletop
    • 1" x 4" Pine ripped to height for Cutting Station Supports
    • 3/4" Birch Plywood Ripped to size for Cutting Station Top
    • 1" x 8" Poplar Ripped to size for Cutting Station Fence
    • 3/4" Birch Plywood for end facia
    • Assorted Poplar shims were used which I ripped off the 1" x 8" poplar board. -16" X 18" Metal 1000 lb supports from Home Depot to give this cutting station a lot of strength. I forget what length fasteners I used but they were 14#s

I have only used it a couple of times, but the Kreg Trak & Stop has been great. Its easy to use, install, and accurate to 1/64" or better. You can also buy additional trak to make whatever configuration you want
    I still need to install the trak on the smaller right side table, and attach/raise/level the Metal cutting saw, but its almost done

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Christopher Boggs; 06-05-2014 at 10:54 PM.

That's a great looking miter station. I wish I had the room for one like that, I'm very jealous!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Good start, Christopher,

Can you tell me why the Kreg fixed stop is shaped that way? are there attachments for it? I have always wondered.

Rick P

@Rick

You can watch this video to find out the secrets of the "Swing Stop" - http://youtu.be/XmqWYTAb3rk?t=1m20s (I cued it up to the right point)

Pretty much it works as a 2nd stop (there are two in the kit), but it also holds the material down when you are using the other stop. It allows you to slide product in and out without touching it.

Thanks Christopher, but it is not the swing stop I am curious about. It is the shape of the solid stop. Is it made in that shape for some reason? It looks like it might have other uses.

Rick P