Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hardboard toolbox - something to help organize your stuff

hardboard toolbox - something to help organize your stuff

I don’t post here much; I’m usually busy getting all my questions answered and getting new ideas. So here’s a bit of pay it forward for all of you that I’ve learned from. Maybe some of you can use this idea too.

I like a bit of organization; I hate not being able to find tools when I need them. So I started looking for a way to organize paint fills, glue brushes, etc. I was a machinist a long time ago, so I’m used to a toolbox w/ a bunch of drawers. I couldn’t justify the price of even a used Kennedy (much less a Gerstner) for this kind of stuff. So, any idea was hatched.

This is based off of a Kennedy machinist chest. It’s about 20 in wide x 12 in tall x 8 in deep. It’s not perfect, but I am obviously not making to time to tweak it at this point. As an example, the thin drawers on the right hand side are about 1/8 too short to fit gilders paste. The long drawers work great for it though !

The lid will latch closed, or it will flip all the way over and lie flat against the back. The upper tray area is about 2 1/2 in deep.

It’s takes about a full 4x8 sheet of 3/16 hardboard to make. The largest single piece is about 20 x 11 1/8.

It is an exercise in alignment to get it assembled…. there are about a dozen pieces that make up the case.

The corel file is from X5. It’s set up w/ 3 different ways to cut. The full toolbox is the ‘mach case’ page. The ‘long case’ page is just the lower 3 drawers; the ‘narrow case’ page is just the upper 5 drawers. The long case and narrow case are the same size, so you can stack as many as you want.

photo 2.jpg

8 drawer toolbox.cdr
    ----------------------------------------
    Too many projects
    and a bunch of 'I wonder if [insert the moments random idea here] will work?'

Paul

Thanks very much.

That's a great looking project and I would guess a lot of hard design work.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Looks like a very useful project. Thanks for sharing. Any chance you could send it as an earlier version?

Jeff in northern Wisconsin
    SawmillCreek.org
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    45W Epilog Helix
    Corel X4, Photoshop CS3
    Sherline 4400 lathe
    JET 1221 Lathe
    JET 1014 Lathe
    Craftman 36" VS lathe

Or post it as a .pdf or .svg for those of us who don't have CorelDRAW? (actually, I do have a copy --- somewhere, an old SE version from $5 Dollar Software back when they sold real software bargains).

Will;
    It's a six page Corel File-
    I can convert each page to an svg but not sure if i can post them all.
    Email me-gmperzel@rochester.rr.com and will send them directly.
    Best Regards,
    George
    Laserarts
    *twin 80 watt Shenhui 1280
    *60 watt Laserpro Mercury -42ips
    *(2) 30 watt Laserpro Venus-42 ips
    *whole bunch of woodworking/metalworking machines
    *128 screwdrivers (all needed)
    *wonderful wife (1st) of 53 years who allows me to collect screwdrivers

That looks superb Paul, I might well give this a go myself.
    Is that 5mm timber you are using?
    Trotec Speedy 300 80W

The material is 3/16 hardboard. Just a bit under 5mm.

Here is the file as a PDF. You'll probably have to do some copy/paste to get what you need for your laser since the page size is 48x36; yeah we've got a pretty big laser bed.

Each page has all of the components for that part of the toolbox..... ie the long drawers are all on one page, the full machinist case is all on another page.

8 drawer toolbox.pdf
    Too many projects

Looks like a very useful project. Thanks for sharing. Any chance you could send it as an earlier version?

I can export it as another version. What version does it need to be?
    Too many projects

For anyone who is going to try this..... I suggest dry fitting the entire thing 1st. You learn a lot that way. There are so many notches that need glue and so many parts that need to fit together, if you load up the glue and then try to fit it all on the 1st try you'll probably end up wearing about half of the glue.

oh and there is on narrow strip in the file. It is glued on the lid along the hinge pins to double the thickness; made the lid much sturdier that way. It would also be very easy to do the lid out of clear acrylic and have a see thru top compartment.
    Last edited by Paul hardy; 06-06-2014 at 4:39 PM.
    Too many projects

Tried e-mailing, but AOL couldn't get the message through --- thanks for the .pdf!

Hi Paul.......
    x3. Please please please...
    many thanks,
    Alexa

Quote Originally Posted by Alexa Ristow View Post
    Hi Paul.......
    x3. Please please please...
    Who could resist THAT?
    X3 version it is.

8 drawer toolbox X3.cdr
    Too many projects

much appreciated Paul!
    Edu

Laserpro Spirit 30w

Nice one Paul, many thanks
    Trotec Speedy 300 50W
    Gantry CNC Router/Engraver
    Various softwares
    Always keen to try something new

Please don't steal - the government hates competition

thanks a lot ,looks like a good project and something usefull