Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's the current trend for small shop dust collection?

I'm very happy with the Oneida mini-gorilla. I've got an attachment on the 4" flex that slips over all the fittings on my machines--takes about 30 sec or less to move from one to another.
    My only complaint is that the drum fills up pretty quickly and is a bit of a pain to change, but it will get easier as the flex hose connecting the cyclone to the drum breaks in a bit.

I also have a CT Mini with a Dust Deputy that works great on the portable stuff.

Hi, Matt --

So sorry to hear this! It's always a sad day when a man loses his workshop. I'm currently going through a similar situation.

I have a 1-1/2HP Delta collector with a 1-micron bag and it's been terrific. No dust in the air and I can wire it for 110 or 220-volts. I'd only ever go bigger if I wanted to pipe my shop, but that's not happening in the near future. I've used it with big chip spewers like my lunchbox planer and 8" jointer and it does a fantastic job. I can't imagine a shop vac being able to keep up, even with a separator.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    We plan to move from our 10 acre property with a 30x48 building for my shop into a s
    ubdivision this summer. My days of a huge dedicated shop are over, at least for the next 6-10 years. I've sold off most all of my stationary equipment but am keeping much of my Festool gear. I anticipate building an occasional smaller piece of furniture and maybe some built-ins for the new house, but no major cabinetry. Depending on the house, I may get somewhere between a corner of the basement and a nice size dedicated room for any/all hobbies. I'll also have part-time use of the garage when the weather cooperates. I already acquired a Bosch 4100 TS and am buying a benchtop jointer off a friend. I also plan to pick up a portable planer. I'm anticipating those three machines need something more than a shop vac, though the ports on the TS and jointer are sized for that. Since buying a 3HP cyclone several years ago, I haven't really kept up on dust collection trends. What are people doing now?

Its all good Jason. We're all excited about the move and starting a new chapter.

I have a four year old that loves to play with the saw dust for a while with his bulldozer and then shovel it into the garbage can!

Matt- have you seen this link in here?

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...nn-conversions

If I had a space issue, I'd be looking at Oneida's Dust Cobra. It only has a 2.5" hose, but that is plenty for your Bosch saw and a portable jointer and lunchbox planer.

Compact footprint, but a bit bit spendy at $1200 for essentially a glorified vacuum though.

I think the Dust Gorilla a better value, but takes up a lot more space.