Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are these chisels

I have a set of Stanley 750s, some of which are marked Made in the USA and some marked Stanley 750. There is no other difference between them. I suspect that the Made in the USA are later versions. However they are not considered collectible, while those marked 750 are.

Your grandfather chose excellent chisels, and they are to be cleaned up and used.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I have some of the same, a little of each. The chisels are identical in their edge holding, profile and sharpenability. Presume the ones that only say "made in usa" are a little later because the grinding marks are just a tiny bit more coarse.

I would pay the same amount for either type, personally would pick based on whichever chisel had less rust.

These sharpened well, are very sharp, and they hold an edge very well. I will probably take the time to clean the blades. They are dark, but I do not see rust.

As illustrated below, some people treat tools as "collector's items".

I think this is folly, and leads to quality tools on display
    rather than quality tools at play.

It could be worse, I suppose.
    Some people collect anvils.

Always scare me when I see a red & black scheme on a tool. Think about the Millers Falls Mohawk-Shelbourne line of tools. Also, M-F had a bad habit of copying what Stanley would put on the market.

Lever cap on most of the Mohawk-Shelbourne planes used that same colour scheme , and were marked as Made in USA...