Thread: My third hand plane

My third hand plane

Here is the third plane i made from maple. Its 23cm long with 5 cm blade. I faild to make a small mouth directly with the chisels, so i used a sole from acacia, again the mouth was big for a smoother plane (its was the size for a jack). I tried the method likeSteve Newman made in previous posts on this forum, an finaly managed to make small mouth. From all the planes i made, this smoother performs best in regards of thin shavings.
    Probably im not going to make planes with this type of chisel until i find mortise chisels, Plus the whole house Is shaking when im working with them . Cant get pass without someone commenting about. I work in the basement and it can be heard 3 floors up. I want to know is there a big diference between normal chisel and mortise chisels for this kind of work?

From start it had natural line, so all i had to do is follow it.
    _MG_0673.jpg

Its more like the Scott Meek plane design.
    _MG_4587.jpg_MG_4604.jpgIMG_0862.jpg

Riding the Jack
    _MG_4566.jpg

_MG_4613.jpg

IMG_0853.jpg

Before&After
    IMG_0850.jpg
    Last edited by Mark Almeidus; 06-06-2014 at 1:13 PM.

_MG_4618.jpg

A look from the side of all 3 planes. I lost my angle metter so i had to go blind about blade angle. Its about 50 or higher.
    _MG_4616.jpg

Acacia Jakc with Acacia blossom
    IMG_0868.jpg

impressive!

Blog Entries
    Excellent work! You are really making me want to build one, and I just happen to have some nice dry blocks of maple... hmmm...

No hmm... with the proper tools u will be able to make it in one day. Im waiting for some pictures .

Next up? How about an Edge Plane, aka skewed Rebate plane. Supposed to only take 10 or so to build ( yeah.....RIGHT..)IMAG0051.jpg so the fellow saysIMAG0055.jpgthis one took overIMAG0052.jpg6 hours. Body is Red Oak, The guide Fence is QSWO as is the wedge. Two square nuts are set into morises just big enough to hold still. Slots allow the guide fence to move in or out. There is a notch chopped right at the iron for the guide fence to slip over. Skew angle is about 15* or so, iron sets at about 45*. Iron USED to be an old lathe skew chisel, from Harbour Feight. It does make some fancy shavings, though..