Thread: QSWO Console Table

QSWO Console Table

This spring I found a beautiful QSWO board set on that 'auction site' and knew I had to build a small table with it.
    Before heading to the basement, I started with a quick Sketchup drawing.

During the construction, I wanted to try some new techniques: The legs are tapered and have face grain on all four sides, ala Stickley. The aprons all have mitered, haunched tenons. The bottom shelf uses a Ebony wedged through mortise.

Since every project requires at least one new tool, I picked up a nice PM 719T mortiser on sale. Following the, 'If you have a hammer, everything is a nail' philosophy, this project is full of mortises!

Using Jeff Jewitt's Stickley finishing techniques. I substituted his oil based finishes for GF water borne dyes, glazes, and High performance top coat. I did need to use a shellac wash coat over the dye. Previously, i found the water-borne sealer pulls the dye up into the glaze and is just too muddy.

I completed this yesterday, had some fun with this, and the LOML is pleased.
    Thanks for looking,
    Chris
    Console Stand 10.jpg20140316_141827.jpg20140315_160737 (1).jpg20140525_090839.jpg20140606_183714.jpg

Beautiful work Chris. It fits the room decor very well.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Methinks you did the QWSO proud. Nice touch putting those hand tools in the photo.

Thanks guys.
    My house in Vermont is vintage 1918 and was built just as the Arts&Crafts style was losing popularity for the 1st time... I live with a constant reminder of how the style should be done. We actually lived in the house 10 years before even changing any wall colors or wallpapers. Original windows and plaster walls still intact. One is just a steward of an old house.
    As far as the those hand tools go, I do use them fitting the joints. The Veritas apron and medium shoulder are my go to tools. I never would have discovered this without Sawmill Creek.
    I am extremely grateful for all who post here.
    Chris

Beautiful work!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    How about some photo's of your house. I'd be interested in seeing them.

Very well done.

George

Blog Entries
    Beautiful clean lines and a wonderful warm setting.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Hi Lowell.
    It's a Colonial Revival style house. My impression is that it has more and larger windows than you would see in a Craftsman house.
    All the woodwork is Doug fir and Southern Yellow Pine. All the floors are Vermont maple. The ceilings are 9 1/2 feet.
    The knob & tube wiring was replaced in the 70's. I let the pros replace the slate roof a section at a time.
    I've replaced the utilities and installed central vac. Pex replaces the plumbing as time allows.
    Always something to do!
    Chris

20140613_222149.jpg IMG_20130928_195132_513.jpgIMG_20130923_153137_609.jpg

Blog Entries
    I don't know why I didn't respond earlier. I really appreciate your house. It looks like a warm welcoming place to live.

I'm sure you will find more projects to add to the ambiance.

A well done project for a beautiful home! Nicely done Sir!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Great looking table, and a great looking house.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution