Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cincinnati Dustmaster 200S rebuild

Cincinnati Dustmaster 200S rebuild

Well, this is my first post here, so if this is in the wrong section, please let me know. I have a couple of these drum type 2 stage collectors that actually do a pretty nice job. but there are a couple of things that I do not like about them and would like some advice on a plan of action I have. I can build a reasonably priced cyclone system using my existing Cincinnati blower with Baldor motor. It is a 2 HP 1100 CFM unit. Not sure the costs as I have not really priced out things other than a potential cyclone body. Really don't know if I want to do the sheet metal work myself or I can possibly buy an Oneida Super Dust Deputy set up utilizing the blower. But I believe the blower should be sufficient to build a portable style cyclone.

Now the drum top collectors are already 2 stage units with much the same cyclonic action as a cyclone, as opposed to the single stage bag units where everything flies through the blower. The problem with the drum top units is, and probably the reason they sort of fell out of favor, is that everything sits on the top of the drum, so to empty the drum, you have to lift the unit off. Major PIA. The darn thing is heavy, especially with that Baldor sitting up top. Got to be 150 lbs + with the blower. I already almost went to the floor lifting the thing into place on the drum the other day. Not to mention 55 gallon steel drums are quite heavy to drag around to empty. Fiber reinforced drums are much better, but the one I have now makes the unit feel tippy as all the weight is up top and the blower unit is slightly off set of center. Some folks in the past have used the blockand tackle method hooked to the ceiling to raise it off the drum, but that limits its portability.

So I came up with the idea of building a nice square type cabinet on castors just a little taller that the dust bin I will use. Cabinet will probably measure 30”x30” square and about 40”tall. The round lid on the dust collector unit is reinforced fiberglass 24”diameter, thus at 30x30 that leave a little wider stance to balance it out The top of the cabinet will have a circular MDF ring mounted to the top 24” outside diameter with the center cut out for the unit baffle and elbows to slip through with the lid sitting on top of the ring and sealed by its own weight. There is a rubber seal on the underside of the lid already. Inside the cabinet will be the round 35 gallon Brute as the dust bin ( possibly even smaller, maybe 20 gallon). It will be held in place sealed to the bottomside of the cabinet top with a 3 sided square runner type set up so the Brute rim can slide into it under the opening, much like sliding a drawer in an out. This way when the bin gets full, you can open the door to the cabinet and remove the bin by sliding it out to empty it and NEVER have to remove the motor/blower assembly from the top. I will most likely switch out the 1 micron bag on the unit now for a Wynn cartridge style regardless of which build I go with. What do you guys think? Suggestions or ideas are all welcome.......

Photos and drawing attached. AND please don’t make fun of my scale drawing!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Will the bin hang up on the internal pipe and elbow? (I have one of these somewhere and I believe it has a 1 foot section of pipe sticking straight down below the fan inlet as well as an internal 6" elbow to direct the air stream into a spiral. Assume that yours has a similar setup?) I like the basic idea, but I would build a compartment between the blower/lid assembly and the bin to get some more capacity and keep the internal fittings above the collection bin. Just redo a seal on the bottom of the compartment. Make sense?
    JR

Excellent point J. R. I totally forgot about the outlet pipe directly under the blower wheel!!! I think it is probably about 12" long just from memory. I may need to rethink this a bit. Of course, the 1 HP unit I have has no outlet pipe. Long ago missing. The elbows should fit below the top sufficiently. Back to the drawing board and pondering this issue. Your idea about the compartment above the bin on the top side of the box does make sense. Maybe a fiber drum with 24" diameter cut in half would provide the needed elevation of the unit above the bin. Mount it and seal it off.......Hmmmm........

OK, so I have been busy whirling this idea around in my head and came up with my latest "design" on this drum top dust collector issue. I think I may have come up with the solution for the internal pipe and elbows. By building a framework and using about 12"to 18" of flex from the blower down to the lid on top of the drum, with the blower mounted on a top shelf of the framework, I can disconnect the hose at the drum lid, slide it out off the shelf and remove the lid with pipe and elbows off the drum to dump the drum, never having to lift the heavy blower. My latest diagram is attached. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Harold Weaver; 06-16-2014 at 1:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Weaver View Post
    I can build a reasonably priced cyclone system using my existing Cincinnati blower with Baldor motor. It is a 2 HP 1100 CFM unit.
    Just tagging along here, I have the same Cincinnati 200S unit & I've been looking to convert it into a regular cyclone style unit.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Walls View Post
    Just tagging along here,
    Ops!! I just noticed the date!
    Looks like I dug up an old post.

Doug

The topic is still relevant. There is an ad on the back of the July Wood magazine for dust deputys of different sizes. Looked at Oneida's page and the 6" super dust deputy XL is 239. Has a long cone, should make a fine setup with a large enough blower.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    The topic is still relevant. There is an ad on the back of the July Wood magazine for dust deputys of different sizes.
    The possible problem I see with the Dust Deputy's is that they all seem to be set-up for counterclockwise rotation, And my Cincinnati is designed for a clockwise rotation.

I remember reading somewhere that the cyclone's rotation should be the same as the impeller's rotation!

I could possibly make an new adapter/motor plate for the inlet side of the impeller housing & then cut out a new inlet/opening in the old motor side of the housing. With the housing flip-flopped all I would need to do is reverse the motor direction, The motor is 3-phase so it would be a simple swap of two wires.

Here's a couple of pic's of the impeller & housing disassembled, It really wouldn't be too hare to flip-flop the housing.

IMG_2460.JPGIMG_2461.JPGIMG_2462.JPG

On the other-hand most of the Thien-Baffle Separator designs I've seen tend to run on a clockwise rotation, Which would be the same direction as my blower.

Doug

I used to build the Wood magazine cyclone, with either right or left inlet. The direction of the blower on top doesn't affect it, as air is being sucked up a tube to inlet of fan where it direction is changed 90 degrees to flow in pipe. I used the Delta. or Dayton version of same fan. My Thien Baffle rotates counter clock wise. No reason, just the way I built it. It is the ORIGINAL "Top Hat" design. Phil made the baffle, and I made it better.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 04-30-2017 at 7:54 PM.

Doug,

Your idea of reversing sounds good if you go with the SDD (which would be your best performance option). If you don't go with the SDD you would probably better off with a Thien over the barrel idea for three reasons. The Thien has better separation, less pressure loss and you don't have to rely on the tube sticking into your collection barrel. The barrel design relies on the barrel to be the cyclone and collection in one so you really have to watch your collection level. With the tube sticking 12" down in the barrel you would probably want the collection level to be 8-12 inches away from the bottom of the tube So that is almost 24" below the top of the barrel.

Hope that helps,

Carl.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Kona View Post
    If you don't go with the SDD you would probably better off with a Thien over the barrel idea for three reasons. The Thien has better separation, less pressure loss and you don't have to rely on the tube sticking into your collection barrel.
    I'm kind of leaning towards the Thien Baffle since I should be able to build one myself pretty easily. I got some of this kerf-board material from a friend of mine that is in the cement business. He uses it for making curves in concrete forms, It's got a flexible plastic outer-shell & the inside slats are made from MDF.
    Kerf Board.jpg

Doug

I am glade you dug up this thread as I also have a Cincinnati 200S unit which I am trying to setup. I bought a SDD and a second 55 gal barrel with a locking lid. I plan on keeping the original Cincinnati 200S barrel and just connecting the SDD with an additional barrel using 6 inch PVC pipe. I am still working on it as I don't have everything in place. It is going slow as the DC is being mounted outside my shop in kind of a lean to shed against the shop. I plan to just run the pipe in the shop. I bought a small dolly off craigislist that I plan to strap to the SDD's 55 gal barrel to make it easier to move when it is full.

I look forward to what you come up with and how it works. I have not seen much on the Cincinnati 200S DC units.

Quote Originally Posted by lee cox View Post
    I have not seen much on the Cincinnati 200S DC units.
    Yeah they don't seem to be that popular with home woodworking set-ups!
    The one I got came from a metalworking shop that was closing, They used it mainly for a surface grinder.

Here's a link to the Cincinnati's for anyone not familiar with them https://www.cincinnatifan.com/portab...t-features.htm

Doug

Here is what I am working on. It is not a custom build like yours is going to be. I am trying the simple approach and just hooking a SDD to my Cincinnati DC. I am hoping after going through 2 cyclones there will not be a lot of fine dust coming out as I plan to exhaust it outside without a filter.
    Last edited by lee cox; 05-03-2017 at 3:38 PM.

Glad to see my topic revived. Unfortunately, mine is still sitting in the corner in its original form and configuration. I haven't done anything with it yet. But I did do some additional research and found this one with a SSD with the 200S blower modified to work together on top. Seems to be a nicely done set up.

IMG-20150612-01195.jpgWinnipeg-20150613-01197.jpg