Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cincinnati Dustmaster 200S rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Weaver View Post
    Glad to see my topic revived.
    I did do some additional research and found this one with a SSD with the 200S blower modified to work together on top.
    Did that person have any remarks about it's performance?

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    I used to build the Wood magazine cyclone, with either right or left inlet. The direction of the blower on top doesn't affect it
    Not that I doubt you! I was just going by this remark from Bill Pentz's web site.
    "The air spinning inside the cyclone should turn in the same direction as your impeller spins or your motor will have to use extra power to reverse the air direction. To match directions between the impeller and cyclone you either buy an impeller that matches your cyclone or build your cyclone to match your impeller "

Here's another thread I found on the subject!
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ation-Question
    It seems as though either direction will work, But having the impeller spinning the same way as the cyclone will be more efficient.

Doug

I wonder if this is dependent on distance. What if the blower is 6 or 10 feet away from the SDD? Is the air still swirling in the pipe down a ways?

Quote Originally Posted by lee cox View Post
    I wonder if this is dependent on distance.
    I would be willing to bet that anything over a foot or so distance in-between the blower & the cyclone would minimize the difference?

Doug

Clear vue sells a right or a left inlet cyclone, but they only offer one blower.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Walls View Post
    Did that person have any remarks about it's performance?

Doug
    I did not see any remarks and I only saved the photos.

As to the questions regarding the direction of the blower and cyclone inlet, I am no expert, but from all I have read, it seems that there is no issue having opposite inlet directions if the blower is not mounted directly on top of the cyclone, such as mounting the blower separately from the cyclone and connecting them by a hose. Maybe and expert could chime in.

There definitely is an impact on performance with backwards air flow (blower and separator are spinning in opposite direction). When the opposing air swirls collide you have turbulence, noise and inefficiency. Somewhere in the Thein forums retired2 noticed the noise level increase when he attached his blower directly to the separator. The solution was an air straightener. This pic shows some bent Plexiglas tightly jammed in the vortex tube of a SDD (There are other solutions also). Retired2 performed before and after tests to document the expected results of increase airflow and lower noise (you can search the forums for his data and the straightener discussion)

Yes a longer tube/hose will also allow the air to stop swirling but flex hose or bends in hard pipe will reduce the gains you just achieved (I am not aware of how long of straight pipe is required to negate the turbulence).

Hope this helps,

Carl
    Last edited by Carl Kona; 05-17-2017 at 12:38 PM.

I did not see any remarks and I only saved the photos.
    Thanks for the reply back.

It seems that there is no issue having opposite inlet directions if the blower is not mounted directly on top of the cyclone
    Yeah but in my case that's how I would like to install it, Directly on top & as close as possible to save space!
    It wouldn't really be that hard to make a new adapter plate & switch the housing around, Which is what I may end up doing if I go with the SDD.

Still trying to decide between the Thien baffle & the Cyclone.
    The cyclone style sounds like a little better & more efficient design, But the Thien baffle would be a lot cheaper option.

Doug

Go with the air straightener method if you want it directly on top of the cyclone. Doesn't look too difficult to come up with.