Thread: Anyone have experience with a 2HP Harbor Freight dust collector

Anyone have experience with a 2HP Harbor Freight dust collector

I'm not a fan of harbor freight and don't own one tool from them, but someone down the street is selling a never used 2HP dust collector from there for $160. I'm in need of a dust collector as I've been using a shop vac. I need a dust collector for all my saws which should be easy work but also for my 15" helical head planer which is the challenge. I have yet to use my planer yet as I don't have a 240v line yet, but I would want a dust collector for that.

So I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this dust collector. I don't know if I'm getting something useable or just wasting $160.

I've had one for a couple of years. It works well with my DW 733 planer, and does a good job on the finer dust from my table saw. I don't connect more than one tool at a time, I just have a garage shop.
    One thing I did was to get a finer filter bag, a one micron I think. The original wasn't doing the job. It is a big improvement over a shop vacuum.

Regards
    Warren

A lot of people are adapting this unit to their needs because it is inexpensive and works fairly well. It would probably work okay with your planer but the 5 micron filter bag won't remove the hazardous very fine dust. Some people replace the bag filter with a 1 micron or better cartridge filter from Wynn Environmental. I don't think the price is very favorable on this particular unit because Harbor Freight routinely puts out 20% off coupons which would make the price of a new unit about the same as the used one. I had a chance to compare the performance of this unit with my 1.5 hp Delta 50-760 while helping a friend install one he bought used. Even though the motor is (allegedly) more powerful on the Harbor Freight unit, the suction seemed a little better on the Delta. I tried both with a 10 foot piece of flex hose for comparison purposes.

I use bags from Highland Woodworking (felted) with good results. WAY less expensive than a pleated filter.
    That price is a bit out of line for a used unit. New ones can be bought for less.
    I have no fault with the unit since I added the better bags, and there are numerous modifications posted.
    Keep in mind that the mods are somewhat expensive. I just chose to add the better upper and lower bags.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

$160 is full price with a coupon.
    I've had mine for 8 years. Got a 1 mic JDC bag for it. No problems.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Yea as I look more into it, I see guys who actually bought a new one for $140, so I think I'll pass. Since the mods seem to be expensive, are there any recommendations for a better more durable machine that may cost a bit more, but still retain a good value while being affordable? I mean a dust collector isn't something I have to rely on to make sure my boards square, it just has to do a good job collecting dust...

I've had mine for a few years Michael, and other than the filter bag--it doesn't seem appreciably different than others in that 1.5 to 2 hp class. I built a Thien separator, but if i'd have spent twice as much on a Grizzly DC i'd have built the same separator. The only mistake i made for me was trying to use their hoses and fittings. While i wish the prices were lower, for my small shop the Rockler Dust Right (or is it Rite?) pieces are great. I've got connections on my machine and my separator is easily mobile. (the DC is mounted on a shelf above the drill press 78" off the floor--with Phil's separator design i never have to change the bag!! It also helps that i have 10' walls and open trusses, as i'm pushing 12' of altitude with that arrangement)

earl

Unless it comes with other stuff $160 is about $80 to much used IMHO. If it included a seperator and cartridge filter that might be close.

IMHO it's probably marginal for a 15" planer, it keeps up with my 12" but if I'm moving a lot of material in does leave a few chips behind. Depends on the DC setup on the planer some as well, if it has poor collection hood setup forget it.

Had mine for several years now. Add a Then separator and a Wynn filer and they are okay. I wouldn't pay over $100 for it used though. They are cheap enough new on sale...

On sale with coupons I paid less than $100 new for mine 2+years ago. It meets my needs in my small shop as the others have said. Have only plugged her up once when planing some pine. Was hogging off a lot of chips in a hurry taking big bites. I think its decent collection for what I paid. Will be finally adding the Thien Separator this year.

Used one as my first DC. Added a Wynn filter and Thien baffle. They are ok for what they are. I think I paid 150 for it new. They do a decent job with short hose lengths on one machine at a time. Still sitting in my shop collecting dust but up against the wall now.

That's the same price as a new one from the store with warranty and return privileges. Most of the benefit of buying it from the neighbor is in favor of the neighbor. I'd offer less, or would just buy it from the store.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Mine cost me $120 new, and I spent another $50 to get new felt 0.5 micron bags (I think from Grizzly). The collector lasted me 10 years before the motor conked out. $160 is too much for a used one.

There are a couple of reviews on YouTube about some things to be aware of.

Agree that price is high..In my early shop days, I bought one new for around $150...Basically rebuilt it, adding a neural vane and better Wynn bag...For the $ involved, very happy with its performance...A better bag IMHO is essential.
    Jerry