Thread: Laguna 1.5 HP Cyclone Dust Collector

Laguna 1.5 HP Cyclone Dust Collector

Folks ... I'd appreciate your opinions ...

I am finally setting up my own shop after sooooo many years of "make do" space (the joys of retirement). It's 11 by 23 with 9' ceiling. I don't have a lot of stationery tools ... Unisaw on rollers, 12" portable planer, 4" jointer, drill press on rollers and scroll saw. Hope to add a bandsaw. I do mostly handwork. Usually only reduce 1 or 2 sheets of 4 x 8 at a time. I do use MDF and melamine and this is my biggest dust collection concern.

I'm considering the Laguna 1.5 hp dust collector. Does anyone know this machine and have opinions one way or the other. I think I'm OK with switching it from saw to planer to jointer, etc. The Laguna is on rollers too. The noise level looks OK (75db), rated at 1200 CFM and it comes with 2 4" ports and I would use one at 2.5". Specs say 99.9% collection of particles to 1 micron.

Details at http://www.lagunatools.com/accessori...or-cyclone2_4#

All wisdom, suggestions and opinions appreciated .... Thanks ... John

John,
    I have (1.5 yrs now) the 2 HP Laguna and am really pleased with it. I read a review by a guy in SoCal (neaqr Laguna's warehouse) who really liked the machine but had several fit issues when assembling but Laguna responded very well. I had no, none, zero issues during assembly other than I did all by myself and the motor section is heavy especially for an old fart like me. I ran six inch snap duct from the inlet, as opposed to using the 2 - 4" inlets, believing that the larger diameter main runs would be more efficent. I used Lee Valley's metal blast gates for major runs and individual tool drops. My DC is stationary and kind of centrally located with the longest runs being about 20' and it sucks up everything my saws, drill, mortiser, sanders, joiner and planner produce. I also use a 20' expanding 4" hose for shop cleanup. The remote control doesn't require line of sight to function which is really nice.

Bottom line - fit & finish were as good as it get or needs to be for a DC, suction is solid and I am really happy with the Laguna. Don't hesitate to PM or call me with any questions.

I'd at least consider the 2 hp that Bill has. It is a lot to ask a 1.5 hp impeller size to handle the resistance of a cyclone and filters. 1200 cfm is the operating range for a 5 hp cyclone so a 1.5 won't get anywhere near that in the real world. Dave

I'm kinda unimpressed with these short-cone cyclone designs. The short cone extracts less dust than a longer-cone design, so more dust gets to the filter. That's why there is a built-in filter beater on the Laguna. If you're going to need a built-in beater, why not just pass all the air directly through the filter? For instance, this Jet dust collector -- http://www.cpojettools.com/jet-70865...jetn710702k--1

Just comparing the pictures, isn't the Laguna cyclone the same as the Grizzly cyclone? I have a 2hp cyclone, and would have been better off with a 3hp. I did upgrade the filter with a Wynn replacement, more surface area, and change some machines to 6" which helped significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    I'm kinda unimpressed with these short-cone cyclone designs. The short cone extracts less dust than a longer-cone design, so more dust gets to the filter.
    I got the JDS 3hp about 5 years ago because I needed to fit it under a low ceiling. I expected the short cone would be ineffective, but it really wasn't.
    I sold it when I moved and got a 3hp Grizzly. The amount of dust that ends up in the bag beneath the filter is about the same.
    That doesn't mean the 1.5hp is any good, but I wouldn't rule it entirely because of the short cone. (I would rule it out because 1.5hp is inadequate)