Thread: Questions from a newcomer

Questions from a newcomer

Hello, everybody. I am a Laser World newcomer. Recently I got a Chinese 60W machine from Automation Tech. And now I am getting familiar with it... There are some issues I can not figure out myself. For some reason LaserWork6 does not recognize *ai files. When I am trying to import it I get a message: There is no data... However I can open it with AI.
    Is there any good books on laser engraving in the market I can read? Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Hey Andrew,

I import .ai files everyday to laserworx.. What sort of image are you trying to etch or cut? I don't know if there any books on this.. however just playing around with it like any other program will help you a bunch.
    Vytek L Star 75 Watt Co2 Laser 48"x96"
    Chem Etch
    Illustrator CS5
    Photoshop CS5 Extended
    Corel Draw X5
    Photograv

Laserworx 8

Laser Etcher.
    Graphic Designer, Retoucher and Photographer.

You cannot import an ai file higher than ai ver 8. Save the ai as a ver 8 and try import.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Quote Originally Posted by Rodne Gold View Post
    You cannot import an ai file higher than ai ver 8. Save the ai as a ver 8 and try import.
    Thanks Rodne. I tried to save in *ai ver8 and ver3 and I got the same message: No Data! It looks like I just got to get a CorelDraw.... I have been working with Photoshop since version 3.5 (1996) and now I have to learn another software Who said that computers are to make our life easier???

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Sollee View Post
    Hey Andrew,

I import .ai files everyday to laserworx.. What sort of image are you trying to etch or cut? I don't know if there any books on this.. however just playing around with it like any other program will help you a bunch.
    Thanks Jon. Now I am trying to import some text files, created in AI - initials, signature etc. I need an arc text that is easy to create in AI. I could not figure out how to create an arc text in LaserWorks... I engrave on nail polish mask on steel to mark my knives with electro-etching. This is just for training and learning the machine. But now I am stocked...

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Holz View Post
    I engrave on nail polish mask on steel to mark my knives with electro-etching.
    Hi Andrew,

This "nail polish mask" you speak of, is it like a sheet/roll of material that's self-adhesive and you are creating stencils from you can then electro-etch?

Have a link? My googleFu is no good today it seems.

As far as a book goes...

What many people have done is just read every single post in this forum.
    Yes, it's long, but there is a huge amount of real world information there from a variety of perspectives.

You can search too, but I find that it brings up too much information some times.

IF/when you get corel draw...
    Nothing says you have to get the latest version. I saw v14 on amazon for $280.
    There is the 'Home and Student' (non-commercial) version for $80 too (no book or extras).
    ULS M-300 30W, CorelDraw X4

As mentioned save as V8 or bellow, also if its text you have to 'convert to curves' or outlines as the software cant handle text in any other way, try the file i attached as it will be a good tester for you, if this doesn't work i dont know whats wrong!!

Well that's annoying you cant upload .ai files some reason pm your email and i will ping a file over to you
    L Squared Lasers UK
    2 x Halo Lasers 20 watt fiber
    1 x Halo CO2 Galvo System
    1 x Shenhui 1512 80 watt
    3 x Electrox D40
    3 x electrox Scriba 2
    1 x Electrox Scorpion 40 watt Fibre
    1 x Epilog EXT36 75 watt.

[QUOTE=Robert Walters;2277107]Hi Andrew,

This "nail polish mask" you speak of, is it like a sheet/roll of material that's self-adhesive and you are creating stencils from you can then electro-etch?.....
    QUOTE]
    Robert, I just apply nail polish (fast drying lacquer) on steel and instead of scratching it with a needle, I engrave a pattern with laser and then electro-etch the pattern.

If you export it as a DXF then you can import it in laserworks

Thank you all, guys. I've just installed Corel and everything works fine.

11. Hello!

I am trying to get my LaserWorx to work with me. I have a Vytek, and I am trying to get the program to cut a stencil for me. I have imported my image from CoralDraw into LaserWorx. The result on the LaserWorx is, the lines on my sample is uneven on screen, whereas, on CoralDraw it is beautiful. I have tried everything I can thing of to get LaserWorx to work in my favor.
    Can you anyone please help me!!!
    Sincerely,
    Distressed & Frustrated

Quote Originally Posted by Melinda Mendez View Post
    Hello!

I am trying to get my LaserWorx to work with me. I have a Vytek, and I am trying to get the program to cut a stencil for me. I have imported my image from CoralDraw into LaserWorx. The result on the LaserWorx is, the lines on my sample is uneven on screen, whereas, on CoralDraw it is beautiful. I have tried everything I can thing of to get LaserWorx to work in my favor.
    Can you anyone please help me!!!
    Sincerely,
    Distressed & Frustrated
    How are you Exporting out of Corel Draw? DXF works for me. Take time to search for you answer first and read on here, most of the new people ask the same questions over and over again. Its not easy learning Corel Draw or laser work, takes some time.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Could you share more about your electro etching process? I'd love to try that.