Thread: Two Recent Turnings

Two Recent Turnings

Here are a couple of recent turnings that I completed. The first one is a piece of oak that came from a customer's home. He gave me several pieces of wood and asked me to make him several different bowls. This is the first of several turnings that I will be making from the wood he gave me. It is a natural edge bowl from one of the crouch areas of the tree. It is 10 1/4" wide x 3 1/2" high. The second one is made from a piece of cherry burl that came from the site of a new hospital in Joplin MO. (The old hospital was destroyed by the May 22, 2011 tornado.) The contrasting light wood is spalted sapwood. Inlace turquoise was used to fill cracks. The turning is 8 1/2" tall by 4 3/8” wide. C&C welcomed.

IMG_5569.jpg IMG_5570.jpg 1253-1.jpg 1253-3.jpg

These are wonderful and I especially like the cherry vase. Beautiful patterns in all of the wood.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Very nice work Steve.
    Do or do not, there is no try.

They are both beautiful. Is the vase turned green to finish or was it dried somehow?
    Paul Singer
    Jet 1642EVS 2hp

5. Nice forms, Steve! I would like to see the foot on the cherry burl form tucked in a bit more than it is. Neat natural edge bowl! Glad to hear that Joplin is making some progress in rebuilding after that devastating F-5 tornado........I remember seeing those pictures on the news. Our church sent folks to help with the immediate aftermath and sent funds to help ..........even with all that help, no doubt Joplin will never be the same as it was!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Roger, I agree, the foot needs to be smaller than it is. After I had it finished and was looking at it, that design flaw became very obvious.
    Thanks for all the help your church provided during our recovery process. Progress is still being made--new high school to open in Aug and the new hospital to open in March 2015. There are still a lot of areas that are still empty and undeveloped. However, much has been rebuilt and the town's spirit is very positive.

Paul--I had cut the tree in the fall of 2012 and sealed the ends with paraffin. So the wood was still fairly wet. I turned it to finish with a thickness of just under 1/4".

Thanks for the complements everyone.