Thread: Finishing a Cabinet

Finishing a Cabinet

I have a sewing machine cabinet to finish. There is no front, the front is all doors, no rails or stiles, so inside is easy to get to. there are many joints, M&T type as well as but joints. It is not all that intricate except for one little storage box which I plan to finish before assembling it for ease of finishing inside corners.

I am uncertain if I should finis prior to assembly or partially assemble then finish then complete assembly. I would not attach the top, there are actually two tops and inner and outer, I would not attach the inner. The outer top just sits on the inner top to close off the machine opening.

The cabinet will be dyed then finished with ArmR Seal.

Your thoughts,completely finish prior to assembly or assemble then finish. Obviously do not want finish where there needs to be glue.

Pics in next posting.
    Last edited by George Bokros; 06-13-2014 at 8:22 AM.

Not sure why they came out like this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would color with dye before assembly at the very least. Much easier to get an even color on surfaces without corners. Dye will not affect the glue joints.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Holmes View Post
    I would color with dye before assembly at the very least. Much easier to get an even color on surfaces without corners. Dye will not affect the glue joints.
    Scott,

I plan to use wipe on poly. Seems o me it will be challenging to get the poly into the corners too. Could one use a foam brush to get the poly into the tight corners and wipe the larger surfaces? I am a relative newbie to wipe on poly.

Thanks

George

George, I've used literally gallons of Arm-R-Seal. It's easy to apply with nothing more than a folded blue paper shop towel, even on assembled pieces. Leave the top off, and anything else that is attached by screws. Then apply the Arm-R-Seal. Just be careful and check for runs in the corners. Three or four coats, sanding with a a 325 grit foam pad between coats, and it should look great. Remember, Arm-R-Seal is a wipe on varnish, so just wipe it on as uniformly as you can but don't wipe it off like you would an oil finish.

John

Thanks John for the tip on using a folded blue shop towel.

My plan will be to apply the dye, assemble and apply Arm-R-Seal.