Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to spend $200 on tools

Talking How to spend $200 on tools

Criteria: must be fun

A) 1/2" Kelton Hollowers with a Trent Bosch Handle

B) CBN Wheel

C) 1/20 of a Powermatic Lathe

D) Stick it in the bank until I actually need woodworking supplies

I actually know better than to turn a question like this on a salivating pack of spenders like Wood Turners. No doubt the recommendations will escalate to adding a little and buying a Oneway Lathe and a Monster Hollowing system.

Ready, Go!
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

B) CBN wheel, hands down. It changed the way I think about sharpening.

I know people better than I can do it with less, but IMHO, if you want a hollowing system, I'd save up for a captive type system. Of course, such systems are usually partially specific to the lathe you have. If you upgrade, then you might have to upgrade the rig as well.

how about some air brush supplies.....it will not go far but would be a good start

sort of depends where you are in the curve

Keltons. But you do know that eventually that will lead to the Monster Hollower......

But, I see you already posted that..... LOL

Prashun, I checked with Monster Lathe tools and I can use the full-size articulated hollowing system on my Delta 46-460. If I go that direction someday I can use it on a future lathe with just a new mounting plate.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Prashun, I checked with Monster Lathe tools and I can use the full-size articulated hollowing system on my Delta 46-460. If I go that direction someday I can use it on a future lathe with just a new mounting plate.
    Yes you can!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

CBN, you will wonder how you ever got along without it!
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

If the limit is truly around $200 - CBN, hands down! It will cost you a bit more than that with shipping, but well worth every penny.

+1 CBN. So much better than the rest!
    Member Illiana Woodturners

D-Way CBN 180 grit, with or without the radius edge? 8" wheel on a 6" grinder with guard removed?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    D-Way CBN 180 grit, with or without the radius edge? 8" wheel on a 6" grinder with guard removed?
    Radius edge should be great for sharpening the little scraper tips used for hollowing - wish they had been available when I got mine. I would go for an 8" wheel, the guard is not needed so it can be removed, only question would be arbor size. Some 6" grinders are 1/2" diameter arbor and may be too short since they are generally made for 1/2" thick wheels while 8" grinders are generally made for 3/4"- 1" wheels. Check with Dave, letting him know the specific model.

I must be missing something. I go up to my white wheel, lay the tool on it, and BAM, it is sharp!! I've been reading for the last number of years that the CBN will change my whole sharpening world....but why? How?
    Do or do not, there is no try.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Nagle View Post
    I must be missing something. I go up to my white wheel, lay the tool on it, and BAM, it is sharp!! I've been reading for the last number of years that the CBN will change my whole sharpening world....but why? How?
    My understanding is that the newer steels contain increasing numbers of microscopic carbides formed during the forging and heat treatments. These carbides account for the wear resistance. Aluminum Oxide can not cut carbide so it just knocks them out of the steel matrix while CBN (or diamond) can cut them and sharpen the steel yielding a sharper edge with better wear resistance. If all of your tools are Sorby or other M2 steel you may not notice much difference, if you are using vanadium steel (Thompson's and others) you will. The AO wheel effectively gives you a serrated edge compared to the cleaner edge of the CBN wheel, on a small, microscopic scale. Cindy Drozda published a long article on this after she switched to having Doug make the blanks for her tools.

I'm not sure I'd call a CBN "fun," but of the things on your list, it's what I'd buy. It does make sharpening simpler, which makes turning more fun.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Thanks Thom. In that case I'd go with CBN too.
    Do or do not, there is no try.