Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to spend $200 on tools

A CBN wheel is high on my list but if you don't have hollowing capability already, the Kelton hollowing tools with Bosch handle would be a good choice.

Brian, While I recommended the CBN wheel, I would also suggest looking at John Jordan's tools. The tips are removable, and you can get both 1/2" tools, long handle, sharpening jig, adapter, and spare tips for your $200.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

And JJ's larger hollowing tools can be used in your Monster hollowing set-up when you up-grade!

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    Radius edge should be great for sharpening the little scraper tips used for hollowing - wish they had been available when I got mine. I would go for an 8" wheel, the guard is not needed so it can be removed, only question would be arbor size. Some 6" grinders are 1/2" diameter arbor and may be too short since they are generally made for 1/2" thick wheels while 8" grinders are generally made for 3/4"- 1" wheels. Check with Dave, letting him know the specific model.
    We have the curved wheel at the club and most that have used it and have a straight one at home prefer the straight. The straight has much more room to move about on the wheel. The new straight one has grit on the side that can be used also.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

I didn't know how good a wheel I had till I read Thom,s explanation.Thanks Thom. Max

Well I just sent a message to D-Way to make sure I get the right arbor for an 8" wheel on my Delta variable speed 6" grinder.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Well done, Brian,
    I am running a 8" CBN wheel from DWay on a 6" 3450 rpm grinder. Dave sent me a 1/2" bushing that he counter bored to fit on the shorter grinder shaft.
    The only concession that I make is to hand spin the CBN wheel before flicking the on switch. Not sure if I need to do that but the start up is much easier on the grinder motor.
    the CBN 180 grit is wonderful.
    You will like the tool edges from the CBN!
    Peter F.

I would go with the CBN as well. I is amazing how sharp or at least how long the edge lasts.

I actually had a catch while grinding and damaged a Norton blue wheel - went off the edge while grinding a bowl gouge with a Vari Grind 1. It stalled the grinder and the grinder started going again when I removed the tool. I was quick on the switch otherwise the wheel would have flew apart. Mostly inexperience, but sure made me nervous at the grinder after that.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Got a confirmation E-mail from Dave and ordered the 180 grit 8". With arbor, tax and shipping: $210.95.

When I got my 8" wheel for the 6" grinder, Dave was not offering the counter bored bushings so I had to turn away part of the spindle on the grinder to get it to fit. Little Delta grinder works like a champ with the big 180 grit wheel on it. You won't regret this purchase, Brian!
    John Altberg

Well, I was down in Phoenix and didn't see this thread till I got back. I would not put an 8 inch wheel on a 6 inch grinder. Mostly because the motor and bearings are not intended for that much weight. True, you don't need the wheel guards on to protect you from the wheel exploding, but they are very handy for helping to keep the dust under control. This dust does seem to float in the air like wood dust.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    I would not put an 8 inch wheel on a 6 inch grinder. Mostly because the motor and bearings are not intended for that much weight.

robo hippy
    Reed,

I don't disagree, but given that I already had the 6 inch grinder all set up and I paid $69 for it 10 years ago, I have chosen to run it 'til it drops with the bigger wheel!

John
    John Altberg

Similar to John, I have also been running the Dway 8" CBN on my Delta 6" variable grinder for a couple years now. I have not had a problem. This is not to say it's good practice, just that it has not been a problem for me yet.

Brian,
    I suppose it's too late, but if your CBN hasn't shipped, you might order 2 bushings from D-way. Our 6" grinder has a smaller arbor than most 8" grinders. If you decide you need to upgrade eventually, then you will require a new bushing.

It should arrive today and when the current grinder needs replacing, no problem getting another bushing.

This is something that has been on my long list of items I want and it just got moved up closer to the top. Let us know how it works out for you.

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN