Thread: Adjustable cabinet display option

Adjustable cabinet display option

I'm building a gun cabinet in which I want to be able to display the guns horizontally. I envision that they would rest in some sort of adjustable hook. For some reason I'm having a hard time figuring out the best way to build that and am looking for some suggestions. If possible I'd like to come up with a design that I could repeat for other use as well, for example guitars or anything else that could be displayed like that. Maybe I'm overthinking it and some sort of angled peg system would be fine? Looking for any advice. Thanks!

How about a slat wall sort of thing? That would allow you to have not only vertical adjustment but horizontal as well. You can buy slat wall already made or you could make it from some sort of nice solid wood to provide a contrast with the displayed objects. Hooks would be easy to customize based on the objects and you could include shelves of glass or other things. Maybe make a shadow box to fit inside for displaying small things like gun parts or medal or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Grabow View Post
    ...some sort of adjustable hook.
    ..Adjustable in what way ?

How about J-hooks, made of matching wood, lined with some sort of felt, with 2 dowels on the back that insert into rows of holes, like those for adjustable shelves in a cabinet? Wish I could draw up what I'm seeing in my mind, but I >still< haven't found the time to learn SketchUp...
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    ..Adjustable in what way ?
    I'd like to be able to move them up and down easily for different configurations. The slat wall and dowel ideas seem like good potential options. The slat idea is also nice because of the side to side adjustment. If I do pegs I would do 4 columns of them to keep the configuration options open. It will be arts and crafts style using QSWO and I want to use that as much as possible for making whatever I end up using.

How about making individual hooks with magnets and then make the entire inside back of the cabinet brushed stainless steel ? You could stick the hooks in any configuration you want. If you could find a stainless refrigerator at your local salvage yard you could remove or cut the side out of it. The stainless would semi-reflect the guns, which may add certain depth.

Magnets aren't attracted to real stainless steel.
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 06-14-2014 at 7:43 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    Magnets aren't attracted to real stainless steel.
    Almost correct. 400 series stainless is magnetic 300 series is not magnetic.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute