Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is a friend's cherry worth?

What is a friend's cherry worth?

A friend's father died. She asked me for advice on selling the tools and their value. That was easy because I didn't want any of them.

Now she has asked me if I want to buy his cherry; about 50bf of it. She would rather sell it to me than to have to deal with nutcases on CL. I have only seen pictures, but it looks nice. I already have a good stock of cherry, but have room for more.

I have gotten cherry at auctions for $1/bf a couple times, but it retails for $5.50. I am thinking a fair price is like $2.50. She will sell it to me at whatever price I say, and while I don't want to take advantage of her, I also don't want to buy it for too much when I don't need it.

So, what's a fair price?

Before I even got to your price in your message, I had gotten $3.00 in my head as fair for your friend. Geographic price differences may make $2.50 more appropriate for your area so I'd say you're in the right ballpark.

I would have said 2.50 as well, I can get it from local sawyers for that price

The fair price is the local retail price. That's what people in your area are selling and buying lumber for.

So pay her the $5.50. Anything less than that, you'd be taking advantage of her.

Locally rough sawn is $3/bf...Rockler occassionally has it @ $3.50 bf for 3 good sides milled....Let your conscience guide you...
    Jerry

What grade is it?

Here select and better is ~$3.30 and 1 common a dollar less.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

Blog Entries
    Just a suggestion Wade but if it were me I'd offer her the going price of your local lumber yards. That's just how I buy my wood.

$5.25 for 4/4 FAS Cherry here. $2.50 for 4/4 common Cherry (Groff & Groff Lumber).

PHM

I think the right approach is to tell her what the retail price is and then offer half of that amount. 1) you guys are friends; 2) she doesn't have to deal with herds of cl buyers all looking for cheap deals. Sounds fair to me.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

How is she financially?, if I may ask.
    A financially stable person just wants it gone. Others need the cash.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

You are talking 50bd ft and a widow. If you overpay you are talking $50-100 extra to feel good. Pretty cheap at any price. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    You are talking 50bd ft and a widow.
    "A friend's father died."
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    "A friend's father died."
    Sorry. Daughter who lost father. Same concept. Dave

"What is a friend's cherry worth?" - Priceless...

We're pretty close to the cherry capital of the world here Wade....NW PA has some of the best cherry in the world, and even the local stuff around here is pretty good and plentiful....location is a factor on price. The last time I bought rough sawn cherry from a sawmill it was $2.50 BF, and it was really nice. What to offer depends on how good it is, how much you want it, and what kind of help their family needs. Good luck!
    Last edited by scott spencer; 06-15-2014 at 12:39 PM. Reason: questionable humor added...
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Half the local rate sounds good to me, for both parties.

Would you pay full retail on the machinery? Doubt it, so why would you pay full price on the lumber? I understand it's not quite the same, but it's like buying anything that you can't return for your money back, you don't expect to recoup all your money.

I appreciate everyone's advice. I expect it is more a case of having to clean the debris out of the house than needing the money.

I told her retail is $6, but I have bought it at auctions for $1. It is worth $2.50 to me. She might get $3 for it on CL, or she might not get any replies. What ever she wanted to do was fine with me.