Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Badger shaving brush

Badger shaving brush

I have never used a shaving brush, always used my hand. I am selling a bunch of stuff and will have some money so am looking at making my own badger brush. I was looking at THIS SITE. What are they calling a "knot"? Is that a brush head ready to glue into a handle? Also, does this look like a good place to buy the brush? I thought Lee Valley had some but I am not finding them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Blog Entries
    Yes- the knot is a head ready to glue in. The site looks reputable to me. Thanks for sharing. I use a badger hair brush, but the bristles come out rather easily. The way to lather is use the badger brush in a bowl and swirl it around to make a lather. Honestly, I often get lazy and just swirl the brush straight on the face.

Blog Entries
    ^^^ clarification- I was saying my brush isn't the best, hence the bristles come out. I like the idea of turning my own. I would epoxy it in.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Yes- the knot is a head ready to glue in. The site looks reputable to me. Thanks for sharing. I use a badger hair brush, but the bristles come out rather easily. The way to lather is use the badger brush in a bowl and swirl it around to make a lather. Honestly, I often get lazy and just swirl the brush straight on the face.

face lathering is neither wrong or lazy- just one technique in a continuum.

I turned my own using a kit from Craft Supplies USA. One thing to be aware of with a genuine badger hair brush is the first ten times or so you use it, it will smell like you're rubbing a badger's ass on your face. I'm not kidding.

Rich

It's hard to convey the level of disappointment I experienced once I actually started reading this thread.
    The title had led me to believe it was an inquiry as to the proper brush to use when shaving badgers.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bailey View Post
    It's hard to convey the level of disappointment I experienced once I actually started reading this thread.
    The title had led me to believe it was an inquiry as to the proper brush to use when shaving badgers.
    You can always start your own thread; I have never had occasion to shave a badger myself but assume it is done sometimes, hence the hair for brushes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

I've done most of my shaving needs shopping from phil at Bullgoose (http://www.bullgooseshaving.com/vie-...aving-brushes/). It's not a kit but I have a badger brush from Vie-Long in spain that has served me very well. Heck, some of there offerings have been at such a good price at times that you could probably extricate the handle and make your own. You could always ask Phil if he can get just the knot from any of the companies he deals with.

I am surprised that David has not chimed in as yet, with names of all the shaving brushes he has tested

I have used brushes for possibly 40+ years. A good Badger brush is a joy, and a poor brush is a lesson in frustration. The good brushes has softest bristles and they do not fall out. A cheap brush has hard bristles (which feel scratchy on the cheek) and fall out throughout the life of the brush. The range of prices one can pay is remarkable.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I missed the thread - was generally offline yesterday.

Moses's question has already been answered, but I'll second his efforts as I've generally got two brushes I use, and one I made. One was one of the $25 ebay type brushes with a plastic handle and mid grade hair (can't remember what it was graded, fine badger or best badger - it's not scratchy) and the second was a 25mm silvertip knot that I glued into a hastily turned cocobolo handle.

The knots on that page are a good price. My suggestion is that given the small price difference, spend the money on something silvertip. Just make sure it's something soft unless you like prickly, as prickly is really cheap and not a real delight in the morning. There area few people who really like a brush that scratches them, though.

Make your decision on size based on what you want:
    1) a small knot lathers up fine, but obviously doesn't hold as much moisture and soap as a large brush
    2) a large brush makes a lot of billowy lather and holds enough moisture for two or three passes without adding moisture (especially silvertip), but it uses a bit more soap and some of the really large knots make brushes as big as coke cans, and I think they're unwieldy, kind of like driving finish nails with an engineers hammer.

I have two brushes because I don't wash out my brushes (seems like a waste of time). In two days, each one is completely dry, which is the key to the brush not developing a stink.

Most of the badger comes from china or mongolia, so I have ordered knots just on ebay (directly from china), it's only a few dollars cheaper than that, though. The money in a brush is in the knot, so finding an economical site like you have allows you to get a very good quality knot without paying a huge markup, and make a brush nicer than anything you'll ever buy locally.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Harkrader View Post
    I turned my own using a kit from Craft Supplies USA. One thing to be aware of with a genuine badger hair brush is the first ten times or so you use it, it will smell like you're rubbing a badger's ass on your face. I'm not kidding.

Rich
    In true Neanderthal style, you could just use an actual badger, dip him in soap, and rub him on your face every morning, although I suspect the shaving cuts won't be the only cuts you endure!

I have dealt with The Golden Nib when I used to own a lathe. They are reputable company...
    Andy Kertesz

" Impaled on nails of ice, raked by emerald fire"...... King Crimson '71

How about just duct taping a bunch of HF acid brushes together?

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )
    Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    How about just duct taping a bunch of HF acid brushes together?
    George: the same person may use burlap sacking for T-paper.

Dry corn cobs is more traditional. OUCH!!!