Thread: Goldfinch house

Goldfinch house

I turned this Goldfinch house today after watching Tim Yoder's video for the week. Silver Maple throughout. Top is one of those 'little bowls' you turn when processing a tree trunk. The body is a wet turned hollow form. The 'knob' on the bottom is another scrap.

Paint it or other finish?
    Attached Images Attached Images

John - cool looking house! You didn't mention dimensions and when a form is spot-on like this it is hard to judge if the house is to be decorative or functional. Just me, but if decorative, color can be a lot of fun and if functional, I would clear coat it with something offering UV protection.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Blog Entries
    Well done John should make your little friends happy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf

The main chamber is 7 high and 6 wide with a 1 1/8 inch entry hole. The nesting area is a bit over 4 inches deep below the bottom of the hole. Some instructions for finch houses suggest a larger hole and to leave off the perch to keep sparrows out. Too many 'looks right to a human' decisions here and not enough study of the design factors for the intended bird species.

Quote Originally Posted by John Thorson View Post
    The main chamber is 7 high and 6 wide with a 1 1/8 inch entry hole. The nesting area is a bit over 4 inches deep below the bottom of the hole. Some instructions for finch houses suggest a larger hole and to leave off the perch to keep sparrows out. Too many 'looks right to a human' decisions here and not enough study of the design factors for the intended bird species.
    Nice birdhouse, but not for Gold Finches I’m afraid, as they make their nest in tree and scrubs and not in Birdhouses.

Here’s some info that I know is correct.

Gold finch nesting info.jpg
    Have fun and take care