Thread: New on this side of sawmillcreek

New on this side of sawmillcreek

So I have 2 lasers and have been posting on the Engravers forum.

I just purchased a hobby desktop 3040 CNC. I know it's very basic and the brand is questionable. But just wanted to say hi.

My plan is to USE cambam and mach3 for starters. I have a little experience with those, and they seem pretty simple and cheap. Any other suggestions on an alternate to cambam. Affordable please.

Congratulations on your new purchase. I have seen a lot of Youtube videos of that machine doing some pretty neat stuff.

3. Clark,

Regarding software, I suggest you take a good look at Vectric's offerings. You can start with their basic Cut2d, and upgrade as you see fit. Their upgrade path is pretty straightforward costwise. Like you, I came to CNC routing from an engraving background, and I recall struggling with CamBam trying to do some pretty basic tasks. I downloaded Vectric's trial versions (fully functional with the sample files I believe) and was instantly sold. I still do most of my drawing in Corel, but import dxf's into Vectric's VCarve, and generate Mach3 toolpaths.

Good luck, and have fun.

Mach 3 is a good choice for machine control software. I use BobCAD/CAM, but I don't recommend it due to BobCAD's sales tactics. Many people like Vectric's software. Must be a reason.

John

I didn't mention anything about software since I am sort of new at this and haven't tried any products other than Vectric Vcarve Pro. I will just say that I found it to be easy to learn and very versatile and powerful. Vectric provides a near complete set of training videos for free download that are very well done and highly useful.

I have used cam bam, and was able to do basic stuff. I made my own mini cnc and it seemed to work ok. I also downloaded artam, but have not tried exporting any g-code.

My plan was to make a larger cnc, but I just don't have the time. So I opted for the 3040. I know it's still small, but it's bigger than my diy unit, and hope a little more accurate.