Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: World Cup

World Cup

Okay, here we go...about 20 minutes before the puck drops, first pitch, kick-off!!!!

G O, U S A!!!!!!!!!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Okay, here we go...about 20 minutes before the puck drops, first pitch, kick-off!!!!

G O, U S A!!!!!!!!!
    Its 1 nil for the United States! Go USA!

Blog Entries
    What a corner kick after the equalizer!
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

I guess it's you and me, Shawn! LOL!!

What a win!!!! 3 points, Baby!!!!!

Good win but OK game.
    Ed.

Blog Entries
    With Portugal next and likely mad by being thumped by Germany, USA had better work on holding possession better. Hopefully, their fitness will not be called into question. They looked like they were hurting out there.

As a non-sequitor, I saw opposing players help stretch each other out when someone had a cramp in the heat in several of the games. Sportsmanship like that is rare but worthy of praise.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

True. Ghana spent a lot of time around our box and the USA looked like they hadn't played together much until about the 80th minute when they finally had some bonafide attacks. They won't go far playing like this but let's see how they do against Portugal in a few days. Getting 3 points and the Ghana monkey of their back is HUGE!

Great to see USA start out with a win and a good deal for US soccer in general.

+1 for the corner kick. Brooks gets all the credit but what a great kick by Zusi to lay it in there.

Jim

Sadly, someone blew the DVR'd surprise for me last night, but I still had fun watching the first 10 minutes and last 10 minutes. I'm damn glad they won, but they really seemed to be fighting upstream--I think they had some stars align for the win. Hope it keeps happening for them. All that being said, the Dempsey goal was a beautiful piece of work and the goal by Ghana was also something to watch. Aside from the incident in the Germany/Portugal game, so far I'm really impressed with the sportsmanship I've seen. And there have been some really beautiful moments of athleticism as well--Rooney's cross to Sturridge, Messi's close quarters skill... It's been fun so far. Just wish I could see more games!

VLC Media player running at work...don't tell anyone I said that.

Blog Entries
    Brazil - Mexico: rough game - far from the beautiful game. Referee is unable to control the game. Fouls are not called even with some nasty takedowns. More than one player down per minute. Player are just throwing other players around with no fouls called. Mexico can't hold the ball in midfield. Brazil can't swing the ball side to side without losing posession.

On the plus side, the Mexico keeper Ochoa, is having a great game.

If were scoring, I'd take a point from each.
    Last edited by Shawn Pixley; 06-17-2014 at 4:48 PM.
    Shawn

I didn't start watching Mex-Brazil until the 60th minute but what you describe sounds about right. It was a win for Mexico and a loss for Brazil.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    I didn't start watching Mex-Brazil until the 60th minute but what you describe sounds about right. It was a win for Mexico and a loss for Brazil.
    The start was worse than the end. As you say, a win for Mexico.
    Shawn

Shawn - the Ref set the tone from the begining and we got a brawl instead of a solid match between two quality sides. I was really looking forward to a great passing/skill game as am deeply disapointed.

BTW- it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that dehidration induced cramps / hamstring issues occur in that kind of climate. Onus on the training staff.

Blog Entries
    I was impressed with the Socceroos. They played with confidence and a good tactical plan. They were just overmatched against the Dutch.
    Shawn