Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: World Cup

Up for the Fourth (c'mon, FIFA, did you REALLY have to schedule games on the Fourth of July!!! ) is France/Germany, a classic European battle and Brazil/Colombia, a classic South American battle! Good point about all the group winners advancing...I hadn't picked that up! Brazil is getting by without being classic Brazil sharp so we'll see how long they can keep it up but I expect they'll go through. Germany hasn't been sharp either so I suspect France might take them.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Blog Entries
    It is possible we could have an all South America or all Europe final. But we will see at least one European team in the final four.

In my eyes, the Brazil / Colombia match is the tightest. Neymar potentially being out, gives an advantage to Colombia. His speed can be troubling. But even if he plays, he may not be at top speed. So far, i've been unimpressed by Brazil. However, Brazil has the crowd and comfort with the heat over all the other teams. Both the Germans and the Dutch have struggled in the heat. I don't see how Qatar will pull this off in 2022.

As to Germany / France, I think the Germans will take them. They have a lot more depth and I think they can hold the midfield against France. Schweinsteiger has not looked good and their wing backs can struggle, but I don't see France utilizing the width of the field as well as Germany or Holland. They also don't have Ribbery, who before his injury was mayber the best offensive player over the last 12 months. I confess, I would love to see Klose get one more goal to break the lifelong Goal record tie he shares currently.

The Fourth of July schedule is unfortunate, but so is the overlap with Ramadan. However, I don't see FIFA nor Brazil worrying about US holidays. Given Brazil's religious nature, I was mildly surprised that we would see matches on Sundays.
    Last edited by Shawn Pixley; 07-03-2014 at 2:10 PM.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Blog Entries
    On to the semi-finals with the best teams advancing - Germany, Brazil, Argentina, and the Netherlands. I think Germany will take Brazil without Neymar and Silva. Argentina and the Netherlands should be closer. I think The Dutch are a more balanced team though Messi can be magical. Netherlands 2:1 Argentina.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

Great games all around. Once they go up a goal, they tend to sit back a bit. It's too bad about Neymar but the officiating was pretty non-existent until about the 60th minute. I think we'll see an all Euro championship game.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Great games all around. Once they go up a goal, they tend to sit back a bit. It's too bad about Neymar but the officiating was pretty non-existent until about the 60th minute. I think we'll see an all Euro championship game.
    Given where the score and game was, I actually thought Neymar was just running the clock--sad commentary on the state of diving. I feel for Brazil that he's out the next game, but can't same the same about Silva. Personally, I'd like to see Argentina advance to the final, but that's perhaps just because I like watching Messi. I also wasn't that hugely impressed by the Dutch during the Costa Rica game. Should be interesting either way.

Blog Entries
    I know what you mean when Neymar went down. The refereeing in the game was horrible. If the ref doesn't take control of the match from the start, he will never have control and the fouls will esculate in severity. Neymar should be the one to call out the officiating. The worst example of this was the '78 Final. A huge number of yellow cards were given and four red cards.

The Netherland / Argentina will be interesting. I was coached in the Dutch "total football" system so have a fondness for it. The way the Dutch play today isn't that, but the efficiency they play with isn't beautiful but it is effective. The offense runs through Robben who is a remarkable player in his own right. I have no faith in Van Persie as I think he is mentally weak and definately not a clutch or big game player. Hundulaar and Kuyt are very good. Argentina has a lot of flair and Messi is great but without Di Maria I think the dutch will close on Messi the way the Costa Ricans closed on Robben.
    Shawn

Germany takes Brazil today but only because Silva and Neymar are out. I like the thought of Brazil rallying around the lost comrades and others stepping up and being the home team but somehow, I think Germany squeaks this one out. Here's to a good game with fair officiating. Is that possible?!

OMG, 5-0 Germany at half time!!! WOW

Blog Entries
    Germany took them to the woodshed today. I don't think the loss of Neymar would have prevented this. Silva's absence was cetainly noticed. But Brazil was living on borrowed time. They were the most penalized team in the competition. They foul to cover defensive mistakes. That catches up with you over time (Silva's two yellow cards) and against technical proficiency. The Germans didn't do anything specatacular. They just executed good futbal 101. Pass, cross, pass, shoot. After the first two, the brazilians fell apart. It could have been worse. Germany didn't press in the second half and the end gift goal to Oscar (Neuer is probably really pissed) made it seem closer than it was.
    Shawn

I am not a big soccer fan but watched Germany destroy Brazil. The Germans were either awesome or the Brazilians terrible or some of both. The passing and play set up by the Germans was something to watch. I feel sorry for Brazil after they spent several Billion Dollars and lose like that.

Last night I watched a piece of History being made. WOW
    I am not saying go kill all the stupid people......
    I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

The Dutch take on the Argentinians today! I am still standing by my all Euro WC championship.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    The Dutch take on the Argentinians today! I am still standing by my all Euro WC championship.
    I'd like the Dutch to win. But I fear, if they did, they'd break my heart in the final.
    Shawn

Blog Entries
    Congratulations to the Argentinians. The Dutch couldn't withstand two extra time games in a row. Both Robben and Messi were effectively neutralized.

Argentina gets the honor of losing to the Germans.
    Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    Congratulations to the Argentinians. The Dutch couldn't withstand two extra time games in a row. Both Robben and Messi were effectively neutralized.

Argentina gets the honor of losing to the Germans.
    Waiting to see the Germans triumphant over the Argentinians! Go Germany.