Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: World Cup

I watched more soccer in the USA vs Ghana game than I have seen in the past three years combined. That said, and 'hearing' the discussions I have this question: . Is the US 'acting' on par with the rest of the world or will this be a factor in holding the US back from being competitive? Honestly some of these guys can make a simple body contact look like they were hit by a train. What gives - hockey players take a slapshot in the face, skate to the bench, get stitched up and play on.

Bye Bye Spain, so sad , here's hoping England don't go the same way today.
    I am not saying go kill all the stupid people......
    I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

I hope they do Trev, I truly do...I despise football with a passion and the amount of time I have the dam game stuck on my TV is mind bending.

Soldier gets shot or blown up, they get up, dust themselves off and carry on, footballer gets a near miss from a tackle and spends 3 days on the floor crying like a 2 year old and needs a years recovery before they can do so much as use a kettle again.

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Howard View Post
    Bye Bye Spain, so sad , here's hoping England don't go the same way today.
    ...and they are out as well! Geez. Germans look strong...French and Dutch as well. Europe still has some power.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I watched more soccer in the USA vs Ghana game than I have seen in the past three years combined. That said, and 'hearing' the discussions I have this question: . Is the US 'acting' on par with the rest of the world or will this be a factor in holding the US back from being competitive? Honestly some of these guys can make a simple body contact look like they were hit by a train. What gives - hockey players take a slapshot in the face, skate to the bench, get stitched up and play on.
    I guess it is simply a part of the sport. I read an article about how the US players simply don't play that way but if everyone else is doing it, then they are missing out on some strategy and getting a call or two thrown their way. Morality is great but as the famous saying goes, there are no moral victories. FIFA is training their refs to recognize all the acting and some have been penalized for it. I think they need one more ref out there...kind of like when the NBA went with 3 refs. Either that or the side judges need to be able to provide input.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    As Chris said, right now the US team isn't playing to the ref's. There have been several retired futballers who have come out against both "flopping" and racism. The other problem is the officiating. Some refs will not call a foul unless the bone is sticking out, others call fouls on any 50/50 ball. The Mexico / Brazil game had poor officiating IMO. People were taken down without going for the ball or others simply grabbed and pushed out of the way - no foul. There are cultural differences in the way the game is played as well as how it is officiated.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

I ended up watching Mex v. Brazil on DVR and you are right--pretty thuggish. On the other hand, the second half of Germany v. Ghana was some really gripping play. Just goes to show that none of these teams are invincible... Can't wait for US v. Portugal tomorrow.

what a goal by Jones - amazing!!

So close for the US to get the W but the draw works, too! I was VERY happy with the US's play against Portugal. They were significantly better in this game versus the Ghana game. As Landon Donovan said, "Soccer can be a funny sport." They played much better against Portugal and were down 1-0 whilst playing poorly against Ghana and up 1-0. I like our chances at a draw with Germany and impressed with Ghana's play against Germany. We shall see Thursday!!

Blog Entries
    The Dutch-Chile game today was quite good. The Chileans outplayed the dutch for the first 30 minutes. After that the Dutch took midfield. In the second half the Chile team would attack against a stout Dutch defense and the Dutch would counter with two forwards. Robben worked really hard all game and the second goal was a tribute to that work he wore the defenders down with his long runs and the Chile defenders didn't want the ball on his left foot. He made a wonderful cross to a teamate who also ran who got an easy goal.

There really wasn't much to play for as they were both "in." But the runner up gets to play Brazil whereas the first placed team wouldn't see them until the finals.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

I hate these concurrent games they have scheduled now!!! 3 games/day was pretty cool!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    I hate these concurrent games they have scheduled now!!! 3 games/day was pretty cool!!
    Unfortunately, they always play the last games of the group simultaneously, so no-one has an advantage if a certain result in one game would allow a team in the other game to change tactics.
    I am not saying go kill all the stupid people......
    I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

I got on the USA soccer bandwagon, but quietly so as not to feel too engaged after the Ghana win. Now after the heartbreaking tie against Portugal I'm still riding the bandwagon but with one foot on and one foot dangling, ready to jump if need be. Now we go against supposed soccer powerhouse Germany and need a tie - do we even have a chance?

So all the talk is of the psychological-issue Suarez...aka Mr. Biter. I hope they kick him out of the World Cup. I don't care if he is their poster child...reprehensible act!!!

Blog Entries
    I am a soccer / futball fan. Suarez is immensely talented yet seems unable to control his demons. I'd like to see a year's suspension. This is not his first time and without correction, it won't be his last. (Kinda sounds like puppy training doesn't it?)

The adage goes, "soccer is a gentleman's game played by ruffians. Rugby is a ruffian's game played by gentlemen." Suarez seems to try and prove this each time. I understand the frustration he feels by being marked successfully by a skilled adversary. However, his choices bring discredit to him, his team, and the game. There needs to be a Sterling-like response.
    Shawn