Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: World Cup

I agree Shawn, like you said not the first time for Suarez. At the last World Cup, he blatantly hand balled to save a goal, got sent off, but Uruguay went through as Ghana missed the resulting penalty. When he plays within the rules he can be a joy to watch, thinking 2nd goal against England (even though it eliminated us) how he kept his head with the ball coming over his shoulder. I've read some newspaper are asking for a 2 year ban.
    I am not saying go kill all the stupid people......
    I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Blog Entries
    Argentina & Nigeria - exciting game from a casual fan's point of view. Skilled attackers who can put the ball in the back of the net. Both defenses are very poor though. I've seen university teams with much more sound defenses.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Howard View Post
    I agree Shawn, like you said not the first time for Suarez. At the last World Cup, he blatantly hand balled to save a goal, got sent off, but Uruguay went through as Ghana missed the resulting penalty. When he plays within the rules he can be a joy to watch, thinking 2nd goal against England (even though it eliminated us) how he kept his head with the ball coming over his shoulder. I've read some newspaper are asking for a 2 year ban.
    I remember well. Diego Fourlon was so outstanding in that world cup. He was able to deliver the ball with pace from almost midfield. Suarez seems to have anger / aggression issues. I've played against people like that - hated it. I appreciate a tough competetor, but there needs to be an element of control. In fairness though we see suarez typ behavior in American sports too. Suh was suspended for stomping on a player in football. Ron Artest in basketball. Are examples that come to mind.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

Blog Entries
    Despite the loss to Germany, the US team advances!

Suarez gets only 4 months, and nine games under suspension. Too little IMO.
    Shawn

On to play Belgium!! Very cool on the advance. The Americans withstood withering pressure to beat Ghana 2-1, played brilliantly before coughing up a late equalizer against Portugal and finally concluded group play with a 1-0 heavy-legged defeat to Germany. Omar Gonzalez summed up the experience perfectly when he said, "Last game's draw felt like a loss, and today's loss felt like a win. It's pretty weird." Good stuff...fun times!!!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Blog Entries
    So Brazil outlasts Chile. Colombia cruises. The Dutch break Mexico's heart. Ochoa is a great goalie though.
    Shawn

I liked this:

said.jpg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Edwards(2) View Post
    I liked this:

said.jpg
    Maybe so. But in American Football (NFL) the average game length in 2 hrs 54 minutes, but the actual action time is 11 minutes (Wall Street Journal 2010). That is with unlimited substitutions. In Futball, to get to Penalty Kicks after 120 minutes of play (with the vast majority being action time) with only 3 substitutions. There is a dramatic difference in the energy expended to get through overtimes between the two sports.

Soccer and hockey are two sports that are so energy sapping that to avoid a tie after regulation, Penalty kicks or shots are used. In The NFL if there is still a tie after overtime, a tie is awarded except in the case of playoffs and the Super Bowl.

Bill, that is not to say that I like the PK system I don't. But I do understand why it is done. To tell the truth though, in my 30+ years of playing I can remember only 2 PK shootouts. We did have some ties as shootouts are only needed in knockout play. The vast majority of time, a team wins in regulation. I'll have to look it up but the number of PK Shootouts this world cup seems very high.
    Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    Maybe so. But in American Football (NFL) the average game length in 2 hrs 54 minutes, but the actual action time is 11 minutes (Wall Street Journal 2010). That is with unlimited substitutions. In Futball, to get to Penalty Kicks after 120 minutes of play (with the vast majority being action time) with only 3 substitutions. There is a dramatic difference in the energy expended to get through overtimes between the two sports.

Soccer and hockey are two sports that are so energy sapping that to avoid a tie after regulation, Penalty kicks or shots are used. In The NFL if there is still a tie after overtime, a tie is awarded except in the case of playoffs and the Super Bowl.

Bill, that is not to say that I like the PK system I don't. But I do understand why it is done. To tell the truth though, in my 30+ years of playing I can remember only 2 PK shootouts. We did have some ties as shootouts are only needed in knockout play. The vast majority of time, a team wins in regulation. I'll have to look it up but the number of PK Shootouts this world cup seems very high.
    Hey! I don't watch golf either.

I would sure like to see them gut it out and play for a winning goal ala Stanley Cup playoffs. You can give them a 10 minute break after 1/2 hour if need be. These guys could go all day anyway. On the other hand - even hockey uses the shoot-out for (meaningless) regular season games.

Blog Entries
    I never understood golf. The better you play the less you get to play?
    Shawn

I hate football even though it seems to be our national sport...that said the Commitment, Dedication, Effort, Sportsmanship and real Desire of the American team tonight was inspirational. Our overpaid supposed "team" would do well to learn from our American friends.

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Blog Entries
    The USNMT played their hearts out. Most teams would have given up after the 2nd ET goal. The heart they showed despite being out played most of the game is remarkable. Howard's goal keeping was sensational. Gonzales played with a lot of guts after spraining his ankle. the US side just didn't have enough midfield holding power. They were on the defense all game. I subscribe to the notion the best defense is a good offense. I say that as a defender for most of my playing days. Klinsmann's calls on the team were very good. I wouldn't argue on anything. The team has nothing to be ashamed of. They should be proud of their accomplishments. This is something to build on.
    Shawn

You can clearly see the difference in the European and South American teams in terms of crisp passing, sound dribbling, and ball control. It is a thing of beauty to watch them move the ball down the pitch. The Americans look like a train wreck at times with poor passing, not handling balls, and losing control of the ball too easily. They had spurts here and there with 6-7-8 good, crisp passes in a row that got them down the field but it was inconsistent. Their play against Portugal, down 0-1 early, was their best game of the 4 played. That was the team I had hoped to see against Germany and Belgium. Instead, they sat back and played D most of the game and ended up losing. I agree with the notion of the best defense is a good offense. We need work on our offense. Overall I'm still happy with their performance and Tim Howard was amazing and kept us in every game. Now if we can field a team that can smash it into the back of the net a bit more often, we'll go very far...maybe all the way.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Blog Entries
    Chris,

I agree. We will do better when more American Players are in the English Premier League, La Liga, and the Bundeslige. You can only get to be the best by playing the best. I think Klinsmann did a fine job. Julian Green was definately the right choice. I feel sorry for Landon Donovan, but his skills have deteriorated, and it is time for a change of the guard. Unfortunately, that will include losing and retooling at times. Great job by the US National Team! On to the round of eight. I predict the final four to be Brazil, Netherlands, Germany and Argentina. The group round ended up as an accurate predictor of the group of eight as every group winner won in the group of sixteen.
    Shawn