Thread: Lathe Buffing

Lathe Buffing

I need to advance to buffing my bowls. All my grinders are 3450 RPM (except my sharpening grinder) To buff at lower speeds I could use my lathe a Delta 46-460. Will I be too limited by the 12" swing limit? Thought about a #2 MT drill chuck to hold the mandrel, for quick change of the buffs wheels. The 3 wheel mandrels seem to be to close except for very small objects. What do y'all Midi lathe owners do for a buffing set up.
    Thanks
    Tom
    Ala
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Don Pencil made some adapters that screw on the spindle. While he seems to have stopped production, he does still have some in stock. They work well, screw onth the spindle rather than using the MT2 so they are more secure and they accept the threaded stud from the Beall wheels. I used one on my Jet 1220 before I upgraded and now use one on my 1642.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Packard sells a "lathe buffing extender" for 1x8 and 1.25x 8 headstock spindles. I have not been able to get any responses from Don Pencil in the last 6 months.

Beall also has MT adaptor and buffing mandrel extension

I made buffer mandrels for my buffing wheels. I drilled and tapped blanks to fit my spindles, then drilled from the end for a bolt and washers. Each mandrel cost lest than a buck. I can set the speed to anything I want.

I did a similar thing with my buffing wheels except I made short mandrels to fit my Oneway chuck.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Roger the extended single shaft with 10" wheels--make several for muslin and cotton buffing wheels. Also double up on the wheels.

I use the Don Pencil extender - it's the 12" long version - works well. got mine at Woodcraft. I slide my headstock to the end of the ways and do it all outboard. the 12" length lets me do 20" bowls without running into anything.

Is the extender thing stout enough to take a 10" buffing wheel. I though they were very light duty tools.

I don't think that you can find the 12" adapter in production now and I think it was only available for the 1 1/4" and possibly 1 1/2" drive. The 8" extension was available for the 1" and 1 1/4". I think that my buffing wheels are only 8"D but I use them on my Powermatic 3520B and little Nova Comet. I like to do the larger wheel with the 12" extension on the Powermatic for exterior buffing and the 8" extension with the bowl buffs and smaller wheels for interior buffing.

I have the 8" spindle adapter (1 1/4" x 8 tpi, though I think it comes in a 1" version as well) that. I ordered from Craft Supplies. Works great, very secure, easy to switch wheels.

12. I started out using the lathe but found it sometimes gave me the backache and it did not seem to be the right angle and now use the drill press where l can even sit down and buff. Michael.

thanks for the help y'all
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

I talked with Tom Steyer at JT Turning tools. He's going to 'crunch the numbers' and see if he thinks there is enough market to make the buffer extensions. I hope there is as it is a good product that seems to be gone from the market. I know I like the products he makes and am planning on getting one of the screw chucks and the stail stock device for the 1642.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).