Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats your favourite handy gadget for your Laser ?

Whats your favourite handy gadget for your Laser ?

What little gadgets have you made / purchased to assist with using your laser ?

My favourite so far is these magnets.
    They work well for keeping sheet material flat, including stainless steel plates.

Cheers,
    Chris

photo.JPG
    HARDWARE - Macbook Retina Pro - Toshiba Satellite - Epilog Helix 60W Co2 Laser & Rotary - Trotec Speedy 300 Co2 Laser - Gravo IS400 IQ Engraver. - Pcut CTO630 Vinyl Cutter. - Wacom DTF720 Touch / Trace Screen - GKS DC16 Sublimation Press - Chinese 6040 CNC Router
    SOFTWARE - VMware Fusion / Windows 8.1 - Coreldraw X6 - Trotec Job Control 9.4.4.2 - E-cut - Gravostyle 7 - ULS 1Touch Photo - BizzWizz Invoicing / Stock Control / Ledger - VB6 Pro - Mach3 - V-Carve Desktop

I'd second you on the magnets, using the exact magnets on your bed and work a treat.
    Epilog Fusion 40 (60w)
    CAMaster CNC Router.
    Flame Polisher
    Range of sanders
    Drill Press
    Table Saw

By far the best item to have , is a 10x loupe or a printers loupe
    You can diagnose all sorts of laser issues using one.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Blog Entries
    Good morning Rodne!

Can you expand on your use of a loupe for those of us pre-newbies out here?

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

I wouldn't call it a gadget, but a stack of post-its makes a great adjustable shim.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

Some iron blocks that are thin enough so that the laser air assist nozzle can go over them. I use them to hold curved materials down. I've covered the blocks with some tape to ease the hard corners. These are the most used "gadgets" that I use.

The magnet idea would be great if you could utilize it with the honeycomb! Mine atleast isn't magnetic...
    Henri Sallinen
    Cardboard designer with a Epilog Helix 24 60w + Gunnar Matboard Cutter + Heidelberg Windmill letterpress

A 'D-cell' battery wrapped in duct tape. I place it inside most things that go on the rotor. Keeps lightweight objects like wine flutes in good contact with the rollers.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Not a gadget but I fold up the edges of aluminum foil to build a tray that sits within the OEM tray beneath the cutting grid. It catches all the small parts that fall through and makes the machine easier to clean. So... aluminum foil. And a small mirror to lay on the bed beneath the lens during cleaning. It and a flashlight help to make sure the lens is clean. I would clean the lens less often if I had to remove it every time.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

I forgot my latest improvement - Added LED lights inside the cabinet - Front & back. Makes a HUGE difference on the Mini. It's been a few months now, but it seems they've been there forever - seems so natural - I wonder how I ever worked without them.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

My 'gadgets' are similar to Henri's- I have about 20 each 12" long x 1" x 1/2" thick steel bars, and ditto for some 12" x 3/4" x 1-3/4" bars. A customer made them up for me for free. They hold down leather so it won't pucker up. They hold down the edges (and middles if there's room) of warped aluminum and plastic. They hold down the edges of SS panels that warp while Cermarking. I push 'em against whatever I have pushed against the rulers so it can't walk. I set them against matrixed batches of plates so they all stay together. The 2" bars usually weigh enough, but if I need more weight I can set one or two of the 1" bars on top, and there's still clearance for the lens to pass over them. I probably use them 80% of the time I use a laser.

A 1" bar is keeping this piece of aluminum in place...

steelbars.jpg
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Also added a 48" strip of super bright LED lights on our VYTEK LSTAR gantry. We have a controller as well to dim the lights from 100%-25%. Way cool.
    Vytek L Star 75 Watt Co2 Laser 48"x96"
    Chem Etch
    Illustrator CS5
    Photoshop CS5 Extended
    Corel Draw X5
    Photograv

Laserworx 8

Laser Etcher.
    Graphic Designer, Retoucher and Photographer.

I use magnets too but those tiny ones in the first post would do nothing for me. I use a dozen 1/2" x 1/2" x 2" neodymium magnets to hold down 1/4' ply and acrylic. When they land on the bare honeycomb it takes two hands to pull them off.

I also always have a dental pick-like tool handy for checking to see if pieces are getting cut all the way through. It also helps in removing the cut pieces sometimes. An exacto knife works almost as well.
    Last edited by Rich Harman; 06-18-2014 at 3:18 PM.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

+1 on the dental picks

cheers

Dave

ps: my most often used tool...a router digital height gauge with a tab on the lens barrel to make tiny height adjustments or my adjustable height bed mod
    You did what !

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    My 'gadgets' are similar to Henri's- I have about 20 each 12" long x 1" x 1/2" thick steel bars, and ditto for some 12" x 3/4" x 1-3/4" bars.
    Yep, same here except mine were a set of engineers parallels - precision ground bars 6" long x 1/2" thick and in pairs of varying height from 7/8" up to 2". They were great for some set ups, particularly when using very thin materials on the honeycomb bed as sometimes the material would slip under the rulers whereas the ground edges of the parallels prevented this. Plus I knew exactly how far away from the rulers I was working. Also very good for raising the material off the bed to prevent flashback. One setup I regularly used was for cutting large odd-shaped pieces out of 1/2" acrylic where any flashback was unacceptable. I could arrange the parallels underneath the material to support the cut piece as well as using others as registration stops.

J&L Industrial Supply often sell sets of these on special offer at bargain prices and they come in a nice box to help you look after them, so if you sign up for their monthly mag, you'll know when they are around, plus they may have other goodies you fancy. Don't worry, they don't pester you just because they have your details. Definitely something for a wish list. You can also get sets in other thicknesses, which as an engineer I also had. The 1/8" thick ones were just right for keeping things flat and avoiding the cone hitting them.

Dental pick
    wheel weights - to keep items flat
    dish rack - a wire rack for drying dishes. This works great to stack a bunch of plaques, name plates or whatever and let the paint dry without them touching or taking up too much space.
    old business cards (Quality card stock. Not cheap paper) - these are great for weeding transfer tape or paint fillling
    JDS 6" plastic ruler - I use that thing every day!
    Wood blocks similar to Ken's, but I stack them on top of the rulers when I have an item that cannot make contact with the ruler guides to line it up properly.

Last, but not least, we've all seen them... a chair cushion made for wooden chairs. It seems I'm always kneeling down to work on a project to save my back. Tossing the chair cushion on the floor makes it much easier on the knees!

Forgot to add my dial calipers. I keep them right in front of my keyboard too!
    Last edited by Mike Chance in Iowa; 06-18-2014 at 6:42 PM.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."