Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shaving; Schick Krona

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Stone View Post
    I never understood the value of 5 blades vs. 3 (or even two, for that matter, though I've given in and switched to 3). I think the Onion had it right way ahead of time: http://www.theonion.com/articles/fuc...-blades,11056/ .

Seriously though, can anybody think of a rationale for "more equals better" in blade count?
    Yes, absolutely. If you look at the price it makes perfect sense.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    number two, the blades get clogged after the first stroke and become useless.
    Interesting... My experience is different: The gillette fusion blades are OPEN from the back, so they rinse out perfectly for me. In fact, because of that, they clog far less for me than the old Trac-II or Atra systems that I have used in the past.

The sensitive skin thing I can't argue with. And Moses, if you're not shaving every day, then I can also understand your problems.

Different strokes for different folks!!
    "It's Not About You."

Love this video, Is it normal to lather and make 2 or 3 passes? My shaving brush should be here Monday.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

I usually do 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    It's just a matter of time until there's stickers, Cheerios and hair - everywhere.
    Jim,
    You described my home to a Tee.

I recently switched to a safety razor. It took a while to get used to the extra mass but I've adjusted. The blades stay sharper if you strop them on your palm. I've also read that it helps to dry the blade off right after use so I do that too. I've had blades stay sharp for a month easily.
    Gary

What's a razor???!!
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Moses Yoder View Post
    Is it normal to lather and make 2 or 3 passes?
    A little late but...most days, I take two passes: one right-handed, one left-handed. I'll take a third if I want to feel really spiffy.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

I am shaving every day now with the safety razor, using gel shave cream. I am waiting for my shave bowl to get here, ordered Monday night, along with some Arco shave sticks. I have some shave soap to try but no way to soak my brush until I get the bowl. I find in videos people assume you know stuff, such as how long the brush needs to soak. The guys on the Coleman forum are also interested in vintage shaving (imagine that !) and one of them sent me a variety of about 7 different blades, 2 of each. I am currently using the 7 O'clock Platinum. My mom remembers her dad shaving with a straight razor.

Soak brush? After I fill the sink with hot water, I usually put the tiniest drop of shaving cream (not canned shaving cream...real cream) on the tip of the brush, dip it very lightly into the hot water, and lather up. I couldn't imagine soaking my brush. Is that something you're supposed to do? It seems crazy to me.

In the above video which is kind of long but the guy has an interesting accent he says soak the brush before working up a lather with the shave soap. My dad used a brush with canned shaving cream. My stuff should be here sometime over the long weekend and hopefully I will have some time to experiment.

Well I checked on my stuff and the bowl is shipping from Hong Kong delivery estimate July 25, the Arko shave sticks sometime next week. I am going to try out my shave soap and brush this weekend without them.

I used to use an old coffee mug and a paint brush and Williams soap to work up a lather, then spread it on my face with my hands - just like the canned stuff.
    Thank heaven I'm retired now and don't have to shave anymore.

LOL!
    It's funny - when I was 16, I couldn't wait until my beard grew in heavy enough to need a shave more than once a week.
    Now, @ 62, if I never have to shave again I'd be happy
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

You've probably seen people using arko by now. You don't need to do anything with it other than wet your face or wet the end of the stick (not soak it) and rub it on both sides of your face quickly. It's a very lathery soap, smells a little bit like ivory soap when you use it.

As in, they'd call it a "face lathering" soap on the shave boards. there's no great way to use it in a bowl.

I think those arko sticks are only about a buck or two in the EU (or a euro or two), and are a really good soap given that.
    Last edited by David Weaver; 07-03-2014 at 9:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Betsch View Post
    I wonder if Saw Stop makes a razor.......
    They do indeed make a razor, and, it will keep you from cutting yourself. My biggest complaint, however, is that when when the break engages and retracts the blade, there is a large bang that typically startles the user into a "soiling" event.

Quote Originally Posted by Moses Yoder View Post
    I am shaving every day now with the safety razor, using gel shave cream. I am waiting for my shave bowl to get here, ordered Monday night, along with some Arco shave sticks. I have some shave soap to try but no way to soak my brush until I get the bowl.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Soak brush? After I fill the sink with hot water, I usually put the tiniest drop of shaving cream (not canned shaving cream...real cream) on the tip of the brush, dip it very lightly into the hot water, and lather up. I couldn't imagine soaking my brush. Is that something you're supposed to do? It seems crazy to me.
    Brush soaking is a very, very common practice but it's one of those things that is largely a matter of preference, rather than a rule. Many folks believe it helps the brush build and hold a lather better. It could also be entrenched in shaving lore from the days when gramps might have been more likely to have a boar brush, rather than badger and soaking was a way to soften the scratchiness. I think it also makes some sense if you're after a hot lather. If you use a cold, dry (or just wetted) brush, thermodynamics suggests that some of that lathery heat will be wasted on heating the brush, rather than your face.

I find that soaking the brush is the most help in lathering a cake. I do think I can build a better lather more quickly with it. The difference isn't so pronounced when I'm using a cream but I do it anyway since it's a ritual for me now. I use a shaving scuttle (from Dirty Bird Pottery) so I soak my brush while the scuttle is filled with hot water to preheat it while I'm showering.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)