Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shaving; Schick Krona

Shaving; Schick Krona

I have slowly become interested in vintage shaving. I clearly remember the first time I shaved. I had never seen my dad shave, and my whiskers were getting long enough that people commented on them. One Saturday afternoon I figured I would shave so went in the bathroom, closed and locked the door. I picked up a razor laying on the sink and went to town on my whiskers. I had no idea shaving cream existed or what it was for. My face burned for hours. Gradually I learned how to shave just by trying different things. I have always used disposable razors, mostly the Gillette Mach 3 which is a good razor. Last time I switched systems and bought a 5 blade razor and lived to regret it. I am about out of razors right now and was looking at different systems when I stopped by my mom's house today. I saw one of my dad's old razors on the tables we are getting ready for garage sale and picked it up; I owe her a dollar for it. I could not figure out how to get it open so googled for directions and found some. Needless to say I am pumped; all I have to do yet is get some good double edge razor blades.

Schick Krona razor.jpgSchick Krona.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

I've been using a safety razor for a while now. Much better shave than the fancy 2 - 18 blade razors they have now, IMHO, but it does take some technique. I stopped using a straight razor just because it's a pain in the butt to maintain the blade. I may get one of those straight razors that use a disposable blade, but the safety on is great.

Next, get yourself some good shaving cream and shave oil. Not Gillette Foamy garbage. Honest to goodness shaving cream. Better yet, get good shaving soap too, and lather up by putting a drop of cream on the brush, and THEN lather up the soap. Easily the best combination I've tried.

I happen to use this:
    http://www.theartofshaving.com/Shavi...-shaving-cream

with this:
    http://www.crabtree-evelyn.com/80203...-soaps#start=1
    (refills are only $12.50).

For oil, I use this:
    http://www.theartofshaving.com/Pre-S...-pre-shave-oil

or my latest one, this:
    http://www.target.com/p/king-of-shav...FQMaOgodwWwASQ

I've also been experimenting with this:
    http://www.cvs.com/shop/product-deta...m?skuId=687713

instead of the other cream. Not sure how I like it yet.

And of course, you absolutely need to splash cold water and follow up with this:
    http://www.theartofshaving.com/After...ts-after-shave

but that's wicked expensive, so I've started using this:
    http://www.drugstore.com/neutrogena-...balm/qxp239925

I also have all of the "Art Of Shaving" stuff above in lavender when I'm in a girly, foo foo mood.

Of course, you'll also need a decent badger hair brush. Your wallet will be your guide on this one.

But think of all the money you'll save on cartridges! ...ha ha ha

Yes, my wife poked some fun at me in the beginning, but a quick tour of the OTHER 75% of the bathroom she takes up, plus her massive makeup storage and application workbench, quickly put an end to that.

Honestly, though, the good stuff can be used VERY sparingly and lasts a LONG time. You'll overuse it at first, but you'll soon find that just a tiny drop of oil and cream is all you need.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 06-18-2014 at 7:23 PM.

I've been dedicated to the straight razor for a few years but I've had a hankering to try a safety razor. I've heard very good things about Feather blades.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

I shaved with my dad's for years. Still have it and use it occasionally. +1 on the bit of technique.

I just received a free shick 5 blade razor in the mail for what reason I don't know. Then I priced the refills and almost pooped myself. No wonder they sent me a free razor.

I get a good shave by using a Norelco shaver prior to using one of the 5 blade razors, this makes the 5 blade last for quite a bit longer than if I use the the blade razor alone. I keep one of the double edge razors on hand along with a couple of containers with a full load of blades just in case I get in the mood to go back to the old way. I went looking for a replacement razor along with packets of blades several years ago but I didn't have any luck finding any for sale so I dug through some boxes that I had shipped here when I moved to Michigan from California and found my old razor along with the blade containers.
    David B

Is that razor adjustable? It looks like a gillette slim or a gilette superspeed (depending on whether or not it's adjustable).

if you decide to keep using it, astra blades from amazon are about $12 for 100 shipped, and they are good.

I rarely use a DE, but I do use one when I travel. Otherwise only straight razors.

John - feather artist club or whatever they call their kamisori style razor, much better than a shavette.

Rechargeable electric for me thank you. I love it.

I bought a vintage Gillette over a year ago and love it. I purchased 100 feather blades from amazon and still have not used all of them. They are awesome.
    Sometimes decisions from the heart are better than decisions from the brain.

Enjoy Life...

Feather's hi stainless blades are the sharpest thing I have ever seen of any type. The are sharper than you can get a straight razor, and I don't know why that is, but even in microscopic pictures they are incredibly smooth at the edges.

Astra blades are like a feather blade that's been shaved a few times, but still very sharp (and of course, very cheap).

I wonder if Saw Stop makes a razor.......
    The Plane Anarchist

Blog Entries
    I may have to try this. I just shaved off my beard (I kept it trimmed quite close). I had to retrain myself how to shave. I always wanted to try a straight razor, maybe now is the time.

I was going to go to a barber to get a straight razor shave. Should I try this first or dive straight in?
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

You can go right to a straight razor, but chances are you'll take a few nicks in the process. Don't start it two days before you have to give a public speech.

I've never cut myself with a safety razor, but I hear people have. If you go straight to a straight razor, and then back to a safety razor for a change of pace, you'll have such good habits from learning to avoid nicks with a straight razor that you won't even need to think to avoid safety razor nicks or cuts.

After not too long, the nicks with a straight razor disappear entirely, only to show as a very minor nick every 6 months or so when you chance into doing something dumb.

We are lucky as woodworkers in that we understand basic sharpening, though getting a smooth edge on a razor is a little bit different than sharpening tools and a bit more difficult.

I've had several straight razor shaves at a barber, hot towels, the whole shabang, and perhaps it's been the barber but I've never found the shave super close. I can get far closer on my own though I personally shave completely against the grain and they always shave with.

Coupled with a short attention span, and not being coordinated enough, I don't think I could pull off a straight razor shave.

I've cut myself with the razor in the OPs picture when it's set fairly aggressive so I'd be scared of what I'd accomplish with a straight razor. May not be enough clotting capability in my body.

I've switched to a Merkur safety razor and couldn't be happier. I'm still trying to find the right assortment of stuff to apply in addition, but I'm already well ahead of the multi blade junk selling.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Yes, my wife poked some fun at me in the beginning, but a quick tour of the OTHER 75% of the bathroom she takes up, plus her massive makeup storage and application workbench, quickly put an end to that.
    I predict this was the last argument you will ever win, in your own house.

It's just a matter of time until there's stickers, Cheerios and hair - everywhere.