Thread: Buying rasps

Buying rasps

Hi all. I am taking a rustic Windsor class at country workshop in early July. I am super excited. In the list of required tools there are. A half round pattern makers rasp and a 3/8 or larger rat tail rasp. Are there any decent users out there? I do not have any in my collection. Looking for something on the poorer side of the hill that is not junk.

There are two French makers of hand-cut rasps and they work wonderfully for me. I'm told they work a lot better than the machine made ones (e.g. Nicholson) but I haven't ever tried the machine made ones. I have one Aurio (sp?) and a couple of Liogier. Noel of Liogier is great to work with.

Used rasps? A path fraught with danger. Pay the money and get some good quality rasps. Muriatic acid and slightly used quality rasps may save you a penny or two but likely not.

Blog Entries
    Not sure if anything in the mail will be fast enough to get to you before the class.

If you are in my area there is a store in Portland that carries Nicholson #49 & 50 rasps. Some people feel their quality has suffered, but that is what I would think of as "the poorer side of the hill."

Not knowing your location you likely know the local purveyors of tools than me. Don't skip the old hardware stores that have been around awhile.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    If you want to save some money and still get a few great rasps, go to Highland Woodworking>Rasps>Iwasaki. Iwasaki rasps are made sort of like plane floats, with long sharp edges that work much like a plane blade. These rasps make something closer to shavings than sawdust. They also last very well as the steel is very hard. I have used mine for years without a thought about sharpening or replacing them. I believe you will find all the shapes you are looking for in Iwasakis. I like the medium cut and fine cut rasps in the small and large sizes. For some reason the coarse cut rasps do not seem to cut as well for me as the medium. I am also thinking the larger cutting surfaces on the Iwasakis will be easier to keep cleaned out, when working green wood, than even the smaller cutting surfaces on the hand made teeth on expensive rasps. I would take a small brush along too though. I took the course on Making a Continuous Arm Windsor Chair with Peter Galbert recently at Highland Woodworking and found my small brush and a little oil/mineral spirits to be very helpful.

Tell Drew all the tools I bought from him worked great.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 06-18-2014 at 9:28 PM.

Lets see, I have an OLD Nicholson Made in USA half round pattern makers rasp, about 16" long, I have an Atkins 3/8" round rasp almost as long, several Black Diamonds in half round and rat tail. There is a square rasp almost 18" long, and a three square one just as long. Most came from my father in law's hardware store from just after WWII. Some were even older, as HIS father owned the store before him. Most are still in very good shape.

Thanks all. I ended up buying from Traditional Woodworker for around $50 shipped. I am sure they are not the quality as some mentioned, but at the moment I have none and no local prospects. Appreciate the feedback. I will report back on my experience with them. rod