Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flame Out! Pedestal Bowl

Flame Out! Pedestal Bowl

This is a pedestal bowl from Box Elder maple..........11.5" wide and 6.5" tall. I sort of like the flames! The bark inclusion, I could have done without, but it is part of the character of this tree, so perhaps someone will like it........I cut away another one from the rim area, or this would have been even deeper.

Comments welcome!

DSC_0443.JPG DSC_0442.JPG
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I like the little bit of bark showing. It shows that you got all you could out of the piece and knew when to stop. Nice piece. It will look good as a display piece, and the bark can be rotated out of view if desired.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Canfield View Post
    I like the little bit of bark showing. It shows that you got all you could out of the piece and knew when to stop. Nice piece. It will look good as a display piece, and the bark can be rotated out of view if desired.
    Thanks much, Thomas!

Incredible color. Reminds me of Jupiter's Great Red Spot. Love it and hope the color doesn't fade too quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by David Reed View Post
    Incredible color. Reminds me of Jupiter's Great Red Spot. Love it and hope the color doesn't fade too quickly.
    Thanks David........I have had fairly good luck with box elder keeping its color. I have two pieces that have faded just a little, but have retained most of the red.......just not as vibrant or bold........I suspect in time it will go brown, however.

Beautiful wood and you showed it off in a very nice way. Sunlight seems to fade the red, so keep it away from windows.

Bug holes, bark inclusion, split at the top, brilliant red spalt. The wood, and your presentation of it is perfect. Personally, I find the pedestal and ogee a little formal and proper for wood with this kind of character; I would have made a simpler form. But that's personal taste.

This is some of the best character wood I've seen in a while. There's so much going on. People will have a hard time believing you didn't dye it.

stunning color! if you use a finish with that sun ray blocking stuff (for the life of me I can't remember what it is) and keep it out of the light,,it should keep color much longer..it has worked for me, very well
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

This is a beauty, and I like the inclusion. If it wasn't there, you wouldn't have all the other wonderful stuff happening.
    tomB

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Bug holes, bark inclusion, split at the top, brilliant red spalt. The wood, and your presentation of it is perfect. Personally, I find the pedestal and ogee a little formal and proper for wood with this kind of character; I would have made a simpler form. But that's personal taste.

This is some of the best character wood I've seen in a while. There's so much going on. People will have a hard time believing you didn't dye it.
    A little formal? ..........yep, that could be said, I guess, Prashun.........but at the time I began this piece, I had a vision in mind back in April when I did the roughout........while in process of turning, I had choices to make, and because I wanted more of a formal presentation piece, to sit on a table with either a fruit or flower arrangement, I decided for those purposes, this design would be okay with this wood.........

Thanks for your input here.........things like design and the character of the wood itself should be factored in before the process begins......something I need to consider as I do future pieces of this wood. It is my hope that the other pieces I have of this tree will have less bark inclusions, and more pristine wood with lots of color.......at least I can hope!

I value criticisms of my own work. I offer my own criticisms humbly. I have a great deal to learn about design, so take my comments for what they're worth. (Less than 2 cents).

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I value criticisms of my own work. I offer my own criticisms humbly. I have a great deal to learn about design, so take my comments for what they're worth. (Less than 2 cents).
    For sure.......I really do appreciate what you said.......all valid and makes me think about factors I need to take into consideration before starting on another piece of this tree..........thank you again!

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle Rich View Post
    stunning color! if you use a finish with that sun ray blocking stuff (for the life of me I can't remember what it is) and keep it out of the light,,it should keep color much longer..it has worked for me, very well
    First off.......thank you dear Lady!!! Secondly, Michelle.........if you can remember what that finish is that has the UV blockers in it, I would like to know what it is........I think I have even more pretty pieces in the future with all this color and perhaps more of it, so preserving this color for as long as possible is highly desirable..........so, if you would not mind, search your memory banks and your shop shelves the next time you are out there and if you find it.........Please, let me know what it is!?!

Roger do a Google search for "UV Blocking wood finish", there are several. Minwax Helmsman Spar claims to have UV blockers

http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/...-spar-urethane

Great looking Bowl, curious how stable it is with a small base in relation to the actual bowl.
    I am not saying go kill all the stupid people......
    I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Howard View Post
    Roger do a Google search for "UV Blocking wood finish", there are several. Minwax Helmsman Spar claims to have UV blockers

http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/...-spar-urethane

Great looking Bowl, curious how stable it is with a small base in relation to the actual bowl.
    Sits nice and stable...........the foot is proportionally correct...........I suppose if one put a large piece of lead on one side and a couple of flowers on the other, it might tip over, but not a likely scenario!

Thanks Trevor for the info on the google search for finishes with UV blockers!