Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: American Woodworker out of business -- so fast?

When the forum is there to draw people to the magazine and its advertisers, there's no great reason to pay to keep it going if the magazine and the advertisers are gone.

Just came back from checking my posts over there, no problems I can see. So, what's up?

with FWWs iPAD app you dont need to be connected to read it either. just need to be connected when you down load the newest issue. yes you would have to be connected to use links. either way beats packing mags in carry ons for trips. or the hardcover library my wife use to like to take in her suitcase, which i had to lug.

4. Give it 20 years and all of a sudden there will a paper resurgence. People will be debating the proper paper to use, so that it will be as accurate as possible to the paper used on antique books found in previously undiscovered libraries. Ink types will be all the rage on the forums, as will fonts and stitchings. Good thing this doesn't sound familiar at all I'm just kidding of course, because if I was serious then I wouldn't be here in the first place.

Didn't PW move one of it's editors over to AW? Talk about a short assignment!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Thornock View Post
    Give it 20 years and all of a sudden there will a paper resurgence. People will be debating the proper paper to use, so that it will be as accurate as possible to the paper used on antique books found in previously undiscovered libraries. Ink types will be all the rage on the forums, as will fonts and stitchings. Good thing this doesn't sound familiar at all I'm just kidding of course, because if I was serious then I wouldn't be here in the first place.
    You're mostly focusing on the book makers and connoisseurs. The users will be debating how to best turn the page -- whether from the upper corner or from the lower corner, or if it doesn't matter as long as you pick one and stick with it. Then there is the entire stylus crowd -- who want to use their tablet styluses with the rubber tip to provide better control on the page turn. Some mail-order specialty shops will probably even feature April first gags with contraptions that can turn 10 pages at once for faster reading...

Matt

I suppose you are referring to Glen. He has been doing his job for both PW and AW (as editor) and I think he will be going back to his old role at PW. Since AW subscribers are given PW as the substitute magazine, the readership of PW will expand...until they decide whether to renew their subscriptions. When my Woodwork magazine folded, they gave me the option of receiving AW instead which I didn't like, to say the least. I would prefer cash and choose the magazine I wanted.

Simon

American Woodworker is now flooded with pharm. spams in its Contributor's Blogs section. I suppose the site is no longer maintained.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post
    ... The users will be debating how to best turn the page -- whether from the upper corner or from the lower corner, or if it doesn't matter as long as you pick one and stick with it. ...

Matt
    I must say that it is great that I no longer have first to lick my thumb. I did try it with the iPad, and sent the screen flying across the room!

The future of magazines is uncertain (I think that Chris Schwarz was very astute and read the future well). Today we rub shoulders with all the authors, and discuss beforehand what will eventually wind up on paper. All a bit of an anticlimax. I have all the early FWW and the entire library of Woodwork on my iPad. Fantastic reading. Still fresh every time I re-read it on long plane trips. By contrast, the current paper mags get read once (if that) and lie in a pile waiting enthusiasm. Same old same old. Ho hum and all that. To survive, magazines will need to do something that forums do not do, and that the magazines of olde did not do. This is likely to go live, that is, present everything as a video. You cannot do that on paper, so we will see a migration to the screen.

Regards from Perth

Derek

10. In the 1980s there was a theory that people didn't have a lot of time so magazine articles became shorter and shorter. Unfortunately short breezy articles work perfectly on the web - so its no wonder magazines are dying. If magazines wish to survive in print then their editors need to figure out content that people feel is worth paying for and doesn't translate directly to the web. Longer articles are the first thing that comes to mind.
    But certainly if I can read a magazine cover to cover in 30 minutes And I spent more time on free sources, I am less Likly to want to pay for it. And even if 10times as many people read the web site, which is hard to do in a hobby with a limited audience, the advertising revenue on line in tnearly as much as print.
    -----
    Owner
    Tools for Working Wood

+3 on quality of content, and on the need for mags in general to come to come up with better than sound bite article formats and content - stuff that works in print.

My feeling too is that if mags want readers to pay good money for their product that they will have to properly look after their interest - who is going to pay out for sound bite infomercials bigging up advertisers wares when these are handed out free down at the local supermarket? I touched on these points and some more general ones (posts 8 and especially 26 http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...azine-goes-bye) in the parallel thread a while ago in the General Wooodworking section.

It's such a pity that the various titles are fading out/at risk of doing so - because I think there's great things they can do on a topic like woodworking that the web cannot. Many of the problems I think date from the corporatisation of much of mag publishing in the 1980s, and the subsequent drives to minimise costs and maximise short term revenues and profit. Somewhere along the line the need to look after the reader's interest and maintain the quality of creative content (fancy full colour schemes are no substitute) got lost... The sort of highly aggressive web based selling of subscriptions indulged in by many of the titles is no substitute either, and has become a serious put-off too.

Maybe it'll come full circle - with some of the titles sold off to smaller publishers with heart that are ready and able to place creative writing high up the priority list again…..
    Last edited by ian maybury; 07-06-2014 at 11:55 AM. Reason: clarity