Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: American Woodworker out of business -- so fast?

American Woodworker out of business -- so fast?

The subscriber link on AW site no longer works. PW's parent company took over AW not too long ago or is my server not connecting?

Simon

https://ssl.palmcoastd.com/03402/app...30?iKey=I**N07

If the above link does not work at your end it says the Aug/sep issue is the last.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Won't be the last either. Magazines are a fast-dying breed. TEN (The Enthusiast Network, former Source Interlink Media) just shut down a number of car-enthusiast brands. They also recently spun off their magazine distribution business, which then subsequently folded a few weeks ago.

The magazine stands at grocery and drug stores around here are shrinking. Haven't been in an Barnes and Noble for a year or more but I bet its true there too.

Thank you. The notice doesn't say if refunds are an option for current subscribers as some of them may not be interested in traditional woodworking projects. Not sure if the demise also means the end of Woodwork, too.

Simon

I remember the PW posts about how they were "excited" to publish 2 magazines. I didn't think the higher-ups would see that as cost effective for long.

Sometimes a business is not bought for its continued operation but for tax (benefits) purposes. But the fact that magazines are shrinking like newspapers is going to continue, more so when the new generation(s) know computers or the like as the only way of communicating and learning. Personally, I think the print newspapers have no future, just like pagers, fax machines, and yes, non-digital cameras and films.

Simon

Just came from the Forum pages on-line.....stay going strong there.....maybe the paper side is going out, and they went on-line? I do have a few blogs/projects posted over there, too.

Sorry, this does not address the American Woodworker issue but is instead about the magazine industry as a whole.

My biggest gripe about magazines with lack of actual content.

I recall the early days of FWW, they had multi-page articles with few pictures. These days it is all pictures with few words followed by additional content on the web. I recall reading a good long article on Tage Frid and Maloof. I'm not sure when the last time a magazine had regular deep coverage of with more words than pictures.

I may let my FWW subscription lapse.

Do something compelling like have a 12 part series with each part covering 8-10 pages in depth. Dont give me three pages then suggest I hit the web. I read magazines on the train to work, I dont have a laptop and internet connection on the train.

I believe newspapers and magazines are more or less a dying form.

The last time I bought a paper magazine or a subscription was 5-6 years ago. Even then, I would have preferred to receive the content online if it were available. A decade ago, I had 3 woodworking mag subscriptions. I used to read 2 newspapers every day plus the weekly local paper. I haven't had a newspaper delivered to my house in many years and I hardly ever glance at the free local paper. Moreover, despite being a news junkie, I almost never watch the news on TV. Online content delivery is king for me and I'm nearly 50. Imagine how the 20-somethings view it.

I now have only the FWW online subscription. As for PWW, I never really read it much. I do check out the free site but I've only purchased 1 electronic issue. That was specifically for the April chipbreaker article.

I don't want to see them disappear but they must find out how to create compelling online content that will earn a profit. I'll pay but only for regularly updated, high-quality content. FWW appears to be doing well, I think (I hope).
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Just came from the Forum pages on-line.....stay going strong there.....maybe the paper side is going out, and they went on-line? I do have a few blogs/projects posted over there, too.
    If we go by the news release, AW is gone and its online content may still be around for a short time. Unless they plan to sell the AW to another party, maintaining the website costs money.

I agree it is stupid to put some contents in the print issue and ask readers to check the website....I still prefer to read the paper format and I seem to get less out of an online reading, but search is great with the digital archives. I only stick with the FWM as contents aside, it feels more like a magazine with its quality photos and papers. AW in recent years has lost its focus and readership and I hardly found any projects worth trying, except for its shop tips and ideas. Nothing new under the sun seems to be killing the magazine industry...how many chairs can you make and how many tables can you put in your house, after all?

Simon

I agree that newspapers and magazines are a dying form. I still prefer paper magazines. I can read a paper magazine when I cant connect to the internet.

The lack of original content is becoming a problem. I subscribe to PWW and enjoy it, but I end up seeing half of the content on flipboard before my magazine comes. I still reread it in print.

I read e-magazines without Internet access all the time. Neither Kindle or Zinio platforms require a live connection after you've downloaded the content.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    I read e-magazines without Internet access all the time. Neither Kindle or Zinio platforms require a live connection after you've downloaded the content.
    I'll have to give it a shot for the next trip out to sea.

Blog Entries
    I take two of the popular magazines and I average about 30 minutes each when a new issue arrives. I used to read them 2 or 3 times before putting them away.

I don't see much reason to renew the subscriptions.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Forum also closed:

http://www.americanwoodworker.com/ms...x?MessageID=90