Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surface VS In Wall electric wiring

Surface VS In Wall electric wiring

Before I insulate my garage I need to think on best way to make wiring. I've already decided to put subpanel, but not sure about wiring. What is you thinking, experience with in-wall vs surface (in conduits)?

Best to have the wiring in the wall, looks much more pleasing. Just make sure to have enough outlets. My builder put in only two outlets and that is not nearly enough. In a two car garage there should be at least two per wall.

George

George,
    I agree with you about outlets, planning plenty of them.

I have a stand alone shop with wiring in the walls. I would not want to have to work around conduit when placing equipment or materials against the wall. On the other hand, it would be nice to be able to install some additional 240V circuits without tearing into the wall. I would say to put the wiring in the walls but install more outlets, both 120 and 240, then you ever imagine you will need.

If I was building a new shop I'd put some of the outlets in the wall and surface mount others.
    For anything that will never have to be moved, I'd put it in the wall.
    For anything else I'd surface mount it so it can be moved later if I reorganize or get another piece of machinery.
    All of the wiring in my shop is surface mounted and I've moved stuff around a few times as my shop grew. Made things easy.
    Hope this helps.
    PI

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    Best to have the wiring in the wall, looks much more pleasing. Just make sure to have enough outlets. My builder put in only two outlets and that is not nearly enough. In a two car garage there should be at least two per wall.

George
    Outlets are cheap. I usually put them every 32" or 48" so one is always close. In-wall will be much nicer.

I also run 2 lines with alternating outlets on each line. That way I can run a router on one circuit and a shop vac on the other without worrying about blowing the breaker.

Also, use 12 ga wire with 20A breakers. Some power tools are a bit too much for a 15A breaker, especially something like a Jet 22/44 drum sander with a 1.75hp motor.

Steve

I thought about this when I was in my old house with a garage shop. For me, if the wall are wood studs and exposed, I'd put the wiring in the walls because it's easier and cheaper and nice to have the wiring hidden. If I added on outlets or circuits, they'd be in conduit to avoid ripping into the walls though. Put the outlet bottoms at around 50-52" from the floor so that they're not covered by sheet goods leaning against a wall.

Another possibility is to run the wiring in the walls, but at the level of the wiring, put up some kind of wall covering which can be easily removed. I'm thinking of something like a chair rail or 10" wide drywall installed with sparse screws. If it's an attached garage and the wall is shared with the house, you'd want that wall well-sealed though for fire and carbon monoxide protection.

+1 on in-wall, and on Steve's 2 circuits in each box. My electrician said I would thank him and I would if he hadn't retired to Tahiti.

I like the wire in the wall in most cases. It has been my experience that conduit gets in the way of future projects. I don't like to open walls if I want to expand my circuits so I then go to conduit but try to put it in areas that have the least potential of causing a problem. I also use over sized conduit in case I want to add a new circuit or two in the future. Another thing I try to do is to run conduit strait up into the attic from the main panel and then run the wire to the area of the new outlet and do a drop conduit to it, this way I don't have a lot of horizontal conduit runs. I have 10 foot walls in my pole barn that are not enclosed yet but when I do I will use OSB. I plan on hanging the OSB horizontal with one sheet on the bottom and one on the top with a two foot space in the middle that will be where I plan on running most of my wiring, the 2 foot space will be covered with OSB that is attached with screws so I can remove the OSB if I want to run more wire.
    David B

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    On the other hand, it would be nice to be able to install some additional 240V circuits without tearing into the wall.
    My sentiments exactly. I've got finished walls in my shop with buried wiring and "more outlets that I could ever need" - except that now I need 2 more 20A 240V circuits, plus I want to run a 30A 240V circuit for an air conditioner condenser... The problem isn't so much that I don't want to run the new circuits in conduit, it's that I completely buried the sub-panel in the wall and don't have any way to get to it without tearing a huge hole around it.

So my advice is this: Make sure your sub-panel is accessible, no matter whether you run the wiring in the wall or in conduit.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Tippin View Post
    So my advice is this: Make sure your sub-panel is accessible, no matter whether you run the wiring in the wall or in conduit.
    I think this is good advice regardless of how you run your wiring. When I do my next shop, I want surface mount EMT. I like the industrial look and the more solid feel of using the metal boxes and covers (you could paint it if you wanted) I have in-wall wiring now and my power requirements have changed significantly over the last several years. If you plan a conduit path above bench level, and below upper cabinet level, interference should be minimum. Obviously, you don't want to run it through your lumber/plwood storage racks but you don't need a receptacle there anyway.

If you are just starting out surface mount is more accessible for changes, but if you are pretty much set on your equipment/power needs, a more permant in-wall installation may be fine.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael W. Clark View Post
    I think this is good advice regardless of how you run your wiring. When I do my next shop, I want surface mount EMT. I like the industrial look and the more solid feel of using the metal boxes and covers (you could paint it if you wanted) I have in-wall wiring now and my power requirements have changed significantly over the last several years. If you plan a conduit path above bench level, and below upper cabinet level, interference should be minimum. Obviously, you don't want to run it through your lumber/plwood storage racks but you don't need a receptacle there anyway.

If you are just starting out surface mount is more accessible for changes, but if you are pretty much set on your equipment/power needs, a more permant in-wall installation may be fine.
    I prefer an EMT system too. Easier to make changes to later by far and I find changes need to be made on occasion. At least that's the case in my shop.

I don't mind the look of it (but then I am in the electrical field).

Good luck with it.

PHM

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri Sadykov View Post
    Before I insulate my garage I need to think on best way to make wiring. I've already decided to put subpanel, but not sure about wiring. What is you thinking, experience with in-wall vs surface (in conduits)?
    My shop has both because it is in a basement and I have a block wall on two sides and a stud wall down another side. The fourth "wall" is just a curtain into the garage.
    As other's have said, as long as you have lots of outlets it is preferable to have them inside the wall of that's a option. That way you can mount cabinets, pegboard, slatwall, or anything else without working around the conduit. Of course if you do the outlets at about 4 feet from the floor that will be just above most lower cabinets and below upper cabinets.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Charles
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

When I fixed up my shop, I ran both 220 and 110 circuits in the walls. Recently I did an addition, and as I have run all my 220 wiring to machines overhead, I changed the 220 in the walls to 110. Gained a circuit by the way. Have found that as I get my shop arranged and rearranged, the overhead wiring, with a cord dropping down from the ceiling works well to run my machines. No tripping over cords.

My new garage is an old finished apartment build that has been rebuilt into a garage- I think in this case, I would spend a lot more time and money trying to run the wire back into the wall. I am +1 on the alternating circuit in the line.

Jim I have been thinking about overhead wiring- thanks for the input