Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Surface VS In Wall electric wiring

I just wired one wall in my garage with outlets (externally). I put well more than I thought I'd need, now I'm fresh out.

Basically, heres the equation I think works

Outlets you think you need x 20+age= almost enough, but you'll still be short a couple.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Tippin View Post
    .........except that now I need 2 more 20A 240V circuits, plus I want to run a 30A 240V....
    And the 240 I had over there needed to be moved over here when I changed the layout after I added 2 more 240 tools, and I had to split apart one of the original 240 runs to keep with my "only 2 per circuit, and never 2 that would be run at the same time" rule, and a couple 110's for small gizmos,and, and, and...................

It never ends. You think you are done. You ain't. Until the panel box is full. And even then you ain't.

For me - it is a workshop. Functionality and accessibility rule. "Appealing" is in the cool stuff in the shop, not the plumbing on the walls.

YMMV.

Oh, yeah - If you ever make a long 240 run, a big-arse jb somewhere in the middle of the run, with a couple loops in it, to satisfy the "you never know" clause in shop planning.

I also have a couple cable drops with strain relief coming down from the ceiling.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Tippin View Post
    My sentiments exactly. I've got finished walls in my shop with buried wiring and "more outlets that I could ever need" - except that now I need 2 more 20A 240V circuits, plus I want to run a 30A 240V circuit for an air conditioner condenser... The problem isn't so much that I don't want to run the new circuits in conduit, it's that I completely buried the sub-panel in the wall and don't have any way to get to it without tearing a huge hole around it.

So my advice is this: Make sure your sub-panel is accessible, no matter whether you run the wiring in the wall or in conduit.
    Buried the sub panel (with breakers) or just the junction box????

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCarthy View Post
    Buried the sub panel (with breakers) or just the junction box????
    The breaker box is completely surrounded by drywall right up to the edge of the box. I should have left a 6-8" clearance (with plywood behind the box) all the way around the breaker box so that I could more easily add a new circuit later, even if I end up running the circuit in conduit.

When I wired my shop I used 10 gauge wire for all my 220 volt circuits. Some are installed with 20 amp breakers and plugs while others have 30 amp breakers and correct 30 amp plugs. If I ever want to change a 20 amp 220 line to 30 amp all I need to do is change the breaker in the panel and install the correct plug. (Our inspector out here only allowed one plug per 220 volt circuit!)

Whether to have exposed conduit or in wall wiring is to me, a personal choice. Do that which you feel best suits your needs.

Budget is always a concern...but I've never heard anyone say...aw man I wish I hadn't put so many outlets in my
    garage. I have a 2 car garage with 4 dedicated 220 outlets and 7 circuits running 14 additional outlets. Then 2 more
    circuits for all the t5 overhead lights. Make sure you put your lights on separate circuit so you don't blow a breaker and
    end up in the dark with a spinning blade. Good luck.