Thread: Shaper tooling - 1-1/4" spindle size

Shaper tooling - 1-1/4" spindle size

I am new to shapers and would like to get and adjustable groover. I need size range about 1/4" to 1/2" groove. This would be used for shaker style doors. My shaper has a 1-1/4" size spindle.

What are some options that I should look into.

Here's one http://www.amanatool.com/shaper/61354.html, not many options that cover that wide a range, you need 4MM-12.7MM, most adjustable groovers operate in a tighter range, but this 3 piece unit from Amana covers it.

Here is a CMT version http://www.cmtutensili.com/show_item...s=HK~694.001~2 Again, a 3 piece stackable set to make that range possible.

Garniga makes great adjustable groovers, but I don't see any in their catalogue that make the range you are looking for.

I also checked quickly the Leitz, Lueco and Ghudo catalogues, don't see anything with that range, most are 4-7.5MM then 8-15MM, so you have to buy two heads to make the range, though with some you could probably reverse the larger set to use as a tenon head, so you make the 1/4" groove for sticking, cope with the larger head stacking in reverse order with spacers and shims.

Another option, depending on budget would be a normal stack dado set just over bored to 1 1/4" by the saw shop you use.

Quote Originally Posted by peter gagliardi View Post
    Another option, depending on budget would be a normal stack dado set just over bored to 1 1/4" by the saw shop you use.

Ridge Carbide sells them prepped that way. http://ridgecarbidetool.com/specials/6-dado-master.html That certainly gets you the grooves, I wonder if you could cut the cheeks with the two main blades spaced and shimmed and cut the shoulders as a separate operation?

I do that, I use the 30mm bore set from my saw with a 30mm shaper spindle.................Rod.

This seems like a great option. Gives a lot of flexibility at a lower cost than shaper tooling. Thanks!

a 10" diameter dado stack running horizontally on a shaper spindle? does your fence really handle a cutter that size?

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Christensen View Post
    a 10" diameter dado stack running horizontally on a shaper spindle? does your fence really handle a cutter that size?
    Good point. I was considering a 6" dado set and will check to make sure my machine can handle it.

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    If you do go with a bored out dado set (I have one, very handy) be mindful of the RPM's- saw blades max out around 5000, I run mine at 3000. With the larger diameter, peripheral speed is greater than most shaper cutters.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Christensen View Post
    I use a 6 inch dado, my shaper capacity is 220mm which is just over 8 inches.

I run the shaper at 6,000 rpm for that operation.............Regards, Rod.

My shaper will handle a 10" cutter between the plates, takes 13" in the table, but with that much projection you really need a tenoning hood not a stock split fence hood. Six inch seems like a much more reasonable diameter for most grooving operations, that gets you 1 1/4" projection with a reasonable fence gap. Most of my shaper groovers are around 6" diameter.