Thread: My thoughts after my first weekend with the Festool Domino XL

My thoughts after my first weekend with the Festool Domino XL

After several weeks of research, I finally pulled the trigger on a Domino XL with a CT36 dust extractor. Realistically, the 500 would have worked for the vast majority of my projects, but there are a few that the extra size would be useful, and with the shims and bit adapter from Seneca Woodworking, I figured I would have the best of both worlds. Additionally, several people on other forums had mentioned that they preferred the XL over the 500. I figured if I was as happy with it as the others, then is had just saved myself $900 (by not having to buy both)!

My first impression was that it was pretty heavy. After using it for several test cuts, I decided that it was balanced well enough that the weight really wasn't noticeable. It only took a few test cuts before I was able to make perfectly fitting joints right where I wanted them. My one quibble with using the Seneca shims (I as using the shim for 3/4" most of the weekend) was that the shim raises the guide in the window on the fence enough that it takes a few extra seconds to be sure things are aligned properly.

One of the joints I assembled needed a 1/4" offset making a lopsided T rather than an L. With the shim installed, the clearance below the fence was almost exactly 1", so it was easy to use a 1-2-3 block and a 1-4" spacer to set the fence to the exact offset I needed.

So far, I am quite pleased with my purchase. I expect to be putting it to a lot of use over the next several months.

Lee

Thank you for that post. Please continue to add any little quirks positive and negative about accessories and usage.
    I have the 500 and may be the only owner not madly in love with it. Thinking of trying to add a larger heavier plate to get better support as I still fight alignment issues. I have considered the 700 to get the better ergonomics of the handles and the bigger mass to provide stability.

Is it necessary to use the bit adapter and smaller bits on 3/4" stock or will the smallest bit and tenons of the XL work?

I have the smaller older Domino. All you gotta do is line it up and hold it still, and keep proper pressure in the right kinda diagonal direction while uniformly pressing the cutter in straight whilst the special mortiser chews the wood out, right? Then back it out, w same control.... Piece of cake?
    Gotta love German engineering.....one of Germanys problems w the Tiger tank was that the factory could not get in a groove of mfg, cause the engineers came up w improvements every couple of weeks throughout the life of the tank
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Ludden View Post

My one quibble with using the Seneca shims (I as using the shim for 3/4" most of the weekend) was that the shim raises the guide in the window on the fence enough that it takes a few extra seconds to be sure things are aligned properly.

Lee
    I agree. That is the only negative thing I have using the Seneca shims on XL 700, it is kind of annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kuhlman View Post
    Thank you for that post. Please continue to add any little quirks positive and negative about accessories and usage.
    I have the 500 and may be the only owner not madly in love with it. Thinking of trying to add a larger heavier plate to get better support as I still fight alignment issues. I have considered the 700 to get the better ergonomics of the handles and the bigger mass to provide stability.
    Have you tried the Domiplate?

I second that. I use to drink the green cool aid, but not anymore.

The small domino was a nice try, but it has too many flaws.
    The big one is different. It is a better tool. I will try to sell my 2 dominos and go to Mafell instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kuhlman View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Muns View Post
    Is it necessary to use the bit adapter and smaller bits on 3/4" stock or will the smallest bit and tenons of the XL work?
    The smallest bit in XL is for 8mm domino, 3/4" is around 19mm. Although you could use 8mm domino in 3/4" stock, but that would only leave (19-8)/2 = 5.5 mm thick material on both sides, that is too thin. For 3/4" stock, 5mm or 6mm domino are the better choices, so yes, bit adapter and smaller bits are needed.

This is one of the additional Festool products that I'd like to add to my arsenal at some point...I like everything about it. (other than the initial investment cost. LOL)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have both. I bought the 500 a few years ago, before the XL came out. I use it a lot. It is a game changer for me. When the XL came out I bought that too. I use it less than the 500, but there are some projects where the larger size is needed.